[Riyria Revelations] Fandom!AU

« Older   Newer »

1. Akemichan

Group
    Administrator

Status
    Anonymous
    “Lady Modina is not here anymore.”
    Alric and Arista exchanged a glare, then he went back to the prison guard, “What do you mean?”
    “We was moved yesterday evening, order from the court.”
    “Moved where?”
    The guard shrugged. “I don’t know, I wasn’t here. I only know about the transfer, saying it was for security reason because she may attempt to kill herself. I guess they brought her to some hospital facility, but you need to ask the court.”
    “This is a lie!” Arista gritted her teeth. “She would never-”
    “Thank you for your information.” Alric grabbed Arista’s hand to stop her. “We will pass thought official channels.”
    Arista obeyed him until they were far enough from the prison, then she exploded. “This is a blatant attempt to impede us to speak with her. They’re trapping her somewhere, this is highly illegal and we should-”
    “I’m aware of it.”
    Arista didn’t understand why he was so calm when Modina could be in danger. “And so? We should march immediately to the court and demand her immediate release to whatever hole they hid her.”
    “We need to do this properly. And quiet.” Alric was whispering, and he was pale. “I’m not his lawyer yet, thanks to you. I can’t just making demands. I’m gonna question around, discovering where she was and then…”
    “We may not have time for it. Someone is aware of our investigation. There is a conspiracy. I need to-”
    “You don’t need anything. I’ll deal with this. You’re too hysterical in this moment.”
    Arista watched her brother, the way he was avoiding her gaze, the way he kept himself controlled as fearing to say something he shouldn’t. “You think the same.” It was a feeling she’d had since the day before.
    “What?”
    “You said most people think like Luis Guy. Think that women don’t belong in other places but houses.” Her words were harsh, one after another like stones. “You are one of them. You won’t cut me out from my case.”
    “Your case? You dragged me on this.”
    “I had no choice!” Arista was rising her voice. “Believe me, I would have preferred not involving you at all.”
    That hurt Alric, but he recovered fast enough. “Because you were doing so good without me, conducting an investigation without any authorization. If we are in this situation, is mostly your fault: never accept cases without the client’s signature. If you want to show me that women can do my job, you’re doing a poor show of it.”
    It was like a slap. She should have known, after all Alric hadn’t never hidden his distaste when Arista had been admitted at the school law and he’d agreed with their father that she shouldn’t try to become a full time lawyer. Yet, it was still painful.
    “What I mean-” But she interrupted him. She didn’t want fake apologies.
    “No, no, you’re right. I’m too emotional, how can I make intelligent decision right now? It’s better I return home and cry on a pillow and then knit a handkerchief to blow my nose.”
    Alric threw his arms in the air. “Arista…”
    But she wasn’t listening anymore. “Sorry, you have to go by foot from now on, but you won’t let this poor, fragile girl going around without supervision. I may faint, too much emotion for a single day.” She stumped towards their carriage.
    She had a feeble hope that Alric would stop her, but he didn’t and the coachman drove away.

When she arrived home, her burning anger had turned into an iron determination. She had no intention to let anyone stop her from defending Modina. Her brother could blabber about it, but that was her case, her responsibility.
    In their father’s office, upon the desk, the case files were, all ordered in different enveloped as from the last examination. Arista took all of them, moved the chairs away and spread the papers all around. In the silence of the empty house, she studied them, maniacally, waiting for a new clue, a missing piece of the puzzle they hadn’t placed yet.
    Her rage increased every time she read Luis Guy’s name, or his written testimony, but after some hours it became such an habit that her brain cooled down, analyzing better the problem. And when Amilia’s letter of dismissal came to her attention again, Arista finally noticed something.
    It didn’t make sense, but…
    Arista rushed to her room, lifted the mattress where she’d hid the documentation about her petition against her ban. She didn’t want Alric to find out, so all the papers were there, included the written letter Luis Guy had produced for the trial.
    When it confronted it with Amilia’s, she didn’t need Myron to have the indisputable truth: they were written by the same person. Why should Luis Guy have done something like that? He had no involvement whatsoever with the Novronian Company, as far as she knew.
    Arista returned to the case files in the office and read again Luis Guy’s testimony. He didn’t say why he was at dinner with Ethereld, so she’d assumed they were friend of some sort. But she didn’t think friends were asked to write letters of dismissal. Maybe she could ask Alenda of… and then she remembered.
    Ethereld wanted to turn the company in a weaponry factory. Luis Guy was a strong advocate with the king of the necessity for the nation to follow other nation’s example and colonize less developed nation. He was a captain of the army other than a lawyer. One needed army for that.
    Arista took Novron’s will and Modina’s arrangement with Ethereld: immediately, the difference was clear in her mind.
    Novron had been very precise, so no one by his own heir could make decision for the company, which was the reason why the church, until Modina’s arrival, had done the minimum to make the company survive, unable to make any fundamental changes.
    Modina’s arrangement had nothing of it. If she died, the church would take back the control of everything, this time without Novron’s liability to stay quiet. They could have turned the fabric in whatever production they preferred and it would be legal.
    They’re all involved in this…
    It was even possible Modina wasn’t the heir, but a puppet they’d decided to use for their purpose. They’d probably thought an orphaned and poor girl would be easy to control. Arista re-read the agreement and concluded that they’d planned to kill her in any case, but surely Modina’s adamant conviction into maintain the factory as it always had been had accelerate things.
    With Modina death, the church in the figure of Saldur would have given back the management to Ethereld, as they’d done before. And Luis Guy would have gained the weapons he needed for his campaign in the South.
    That night, Saldur and Luis Guy had been there to be witness, but in Ethereld’s favor. He would have killed Modina and then his two accomplices would have guarantee for him that he was innocent. Maybe they’d planned for it to look like a suicide. When Modina had defended herself and Ethereld had been killed instead, Saldur and Luis Guy had rearranged their plan, giving her a reason for murder, testifying against her so they could still steal her company.
    Now she just needed to prove it. Aside that the proof Luis Guy wrote both letters, the rest is pure speculation from her part. How to demonstrate that Ethereld tried to kill Modina and that the others were lying? She exanimated the documentation again while a plan formed in her head, thanks to Breckton precise investigation.
    She was so focused that she jerked when someone touched her shoulder.
    “Sorry. I called you but you weren’t answering.” It was Lenare, flawless as usually, but with a hint of worries in her dark gaze. “I was looking for my brother.”
    “Mauvin is out. He has a lesson, I think.”
    Lenare nodded. “I thought so. Can I let this to you?” She gestured to the package in her arms. “Mother is worry he doesn’t eat enough since Mauvin lives here.”
    Arista blinked at her, not really understanding what she was saying. “Are you here with your carriage?”
    “Oh, yes, of course.”
    “Can you accompany me to a place?”
    If she left with Lenare, Alric wouldn’t suspect or complain.

Luis Guy Seret’s office was exactly like the man himself: severe, tidy and boring. Nothing was out of order, nothing was original but an old room that hadn’t been change for century. The door was slight ajar, as if Luis Guy wanted to keep an eye of the outside, so Arista marched inside without knocking.
    He didn’t expect her, that much was clear, but he controlled himself perfectly. Slowly, he put down his pen, straightened his back and looked directly at her, mild-annoyed eyes.
    “Miss Essendon. What can I do for you.”
    “You already did too much,” she replied. The tone was calm, though. She wasn’t her for a petty revenge.
    “If this is about my report-”
    “No. About it, we’ll discuss it in the appropriate forum.” She paced the room back and forth, as it was her territory. “I just came here to inform about a personal success of mine.”
    “I didn’t know you’re getting married, but congratulation.”
    She reserved him a patronizing smile. “I convinced Detective Breckton to use the fingerprints analysis for Lady Modina’s investigation. Are you aware of what fingerprints analysis is, Mister Seret? I’m not sure, because you seem one step back in the last century.”
    Despite his apparent calm, Arista hadn’t missed the way his hands clenched slightly. “I know very well about it. It’s not common in our court.”
    “There is nothing common about Modina’s case.” Arista tilted her head at one law book in the library. “Breckton agrees with me. I do wonder, which fingerprints we’ll find on the knife?” She eyed him: that was a score hit. “It hadn’t been mentioned in any testimony, but it was there, at the crime scene. I saw the photos. Someone used it and I bet it was not Modina.”
    “What are you insinuating?” Luis Guy stood up: he was slender and tall, sharp like a blade.
    “Me? Nothing.” She faked innocence. “Just the fact that the world advances. New inventions permit people to do things they couldn’t in the past. You better get used to the idea that you can’t stop the future. Good day, Mister Seret.”
    She swirled on her heels, heading for the door. In an instant, Luis Guy was on her. He shut the door close with a hand, while with the other he kept her pressed against the wall, painfully. She kicked him.
    “And why are you telling me this, Miss Essendon?”
    His voice was calm, too calm. She couldn’t answer, because she felt his hand on her neck, gripping tightly. She fought to breath, to get free, until she had no strength left.

When she regained consciousness, she was in the dark, gagged and bound hands and feet. She groaned and squeeze her eyes to free herself from the foggy. Her plan worked a little bit too well: she hadn’t anticipated Luis Guy to jump on her immediately. By her calculation, he would have tried to retrieve the knife before Breckton’s arrival: what she would have need to do was to ask Breckton or anyone else ready to participate to set a trap.
    And now? What was the plan now?
    Arista wriggled a little, sagging the rope, as she noticed she was in a carriage, her back against one of the door, sitting on the floor. A figure on the seat next to her moved and she froze, as he tried to recognize the features in the dark.
    “Oh, girl. I never wanted this.” The tone was familiar, kind, regretful. It was Saldur. “I told you not to stick your nose in this affair.”
    Arista took a deep breath to control her anger. Saldur had been a family friend. He’d seen her growing up, he’d convinced her father to let her study. The idea he had been such a monster and nobody had noticed before unnerved her.
    “But no,” he went on, as he wasn’t talking to her. “Just like your father, you put yourself in a position that is unacceptable.”
    A shiver passed through all her body. Her father had died suddenly, hit by a carriage. They all thought it had been an accident, a misfortune, but now Saldur was insinuating that… She grumbled behind her gag.
    Slowly, Saldur caressed her face. She resisted to jerk away despite her body’s protest only because he was removing the rag in her mouth.
    “Alric.” Arista coughed, her throat dry. “You were the one suggesting him cases that he couldn’t have won.”
    Saldur’s expression didn’t change. “I need him to be too busy to check in your father’s past affair. I guess I should thank you for it, now. When Rudolf finds out that Alric lied about being Modina’s lawyer, it’ll be the end of the Essendon firm.”
    “You bastard…” Arista gritted her teeth.
    “I had you study because I hoped you would dedicate your life to theoretical.” Saldur wasn’t watched her anymore. “I even suggested you a convent, remember? I’m sorry it’ll end like this, but it was your own doing.”
    The door of the carriage open. It was even more dark outside, but Arista’s eyes were enough used to it to recognize the silhouette of the man.
    Saldur leaped up. “Did you take it? Has anyone seen you?”
    “Yes and no.” Luis Guy grabbed Arista by one arm, rude, and dragged her outside the carriage. “Let’s get over with it.”
    He cut off the rope at her ankles so she could walk, still gripping her with strength, painful, as he forced her to walk at his steady. Saldur was at his side, quiet. As she turned her head around, she recognized the silhouette of the main fabric of Novronian’s company, stood silent and protective against the starry sky.
    They were in Percepliquis, and, judging by the fabric’s position, on the west bank, where the dam and the bridge that connected the two edges was, not far from the road.
    Alone and at night, there were few outcomes for her, that much was clear.
    But only when they reached the river she understood their plan. It had rained recently, so the river was in flood, his muddy water flowing with frightening speed and strength. The sound of it was deafening, hiding their steps in the ground and any other sound around.
    She was a good swimmer, but if she fall in that, she would surely drown. She wasn’t even sure they would be able to find her body, or if it would be at all recognizable when they did, all swollen and beat by the water force.
    “Put the knife on her,” Saldur ordered. Luis Guy halted. “With both of them disappearance, Breckton will suspect she is the one taking it.”
    “I don’t like this.” Luis Guy turned Arista around and slide the knife inside the fabric of her dress, near her abdomen. For once, Arista thanked the elaborate feminine fashion. “I don’t like murder women. If you just stay in your place…”
    “Instead, I like doing this.”
    Arista kicked him in the shin with all her strength, then she with her hands that had finally disentangled from the ropes, she lifted her skirt and gave him another kick between his legs. She didn’t wait to see him on the ground but she run away.
    “Arista! Stop!” Saldur screamed, but he was old, slow and fat. He didn’t even try to follow her.
    Percepliquis was near. She only need to reach the village and ask for help. Amilia still lived there, for now. Gerald, too. They could call for the other workers, protect her as they call for the police.
    But then Luis Guy reached her. She grabbed her by the hair and slammed her on the ground. The blow on the head made her dizzy, the iron smell of blood invaded her sense. The knife pressed against her abdomen, the blade cut the skin. Luis Guy didn’t stop, kicking her in the face and in the chest.
    She couldn’t say if the light in front of her was real or her brain abandoning her until she heard voices yell to each other. Someone had noticed the commotion. Luis Guy stopped, a salt statue on the night. Then, he moved away.
    “It’s there. They’re there!”
    Arista blinked to remain awake, but her body shuddered painful as arms grabbed her, lifting her with grace. The knife was removed from her dress and she felt the hot stream of blood.
    “Arista. You’re safe. It’s fine. Call of a doctor!”
    Only then, she conceded herself to relax.

“Good morning.”
    Arista stretched: his body complained immediately, still sore, but the mattress was soft and the room warm. Mauvin sat at the edge of the bed, legs dangling, a big grin on his face. She was in her bedroom, she was safe.
    “How did you find me?” she mumbled, as her mind woke up.
    “Thank my sister for it. She was the one informing us you went to the Justice Court and never got out. After it, searching for Luis Guy’s movements was the obvious path.”
    She nodded. “Did you catch him?”
    “Unfortunately, he ran away.” Mauvin snorted. “But Saldur is in custody and he’ll have a hard time justify himself about his whereabouts.”
    “And the knife?”
    Mauvin shrugged. “Detective Breckton took it. But even without it, we’re sure Saldur will confess. As a religious person, the church will protect him if he cooperate. Alric is at the police station at the moment, to surveil the situation.”
    That reminded Arista about their discussion. “How angry he is?”
    “Weeell…” Mauvin lifted his eyes at the ceiling and made a embarrassed expression. The sound of a door slamming downstairs stopped him. “I guess you’ll find out very soon.”
    He leaped up and Arista, with a dash that made her entire body wobble, grabbed his arm. “Please, stay. Your presence may calm him.”
    “Oh, no, no, I’m not going to be involved in this.” With the agility of a cat, he sprang outside the room just when Alric was entering. He didn’t seem to notice it, his face revealing all the fury that burbled inside him.
    The door banged behind him as he paced the room. “I can’t believe it. The audacity. The disrespect. The… the completely disregard of any sentiment.”
    Despite thinking that Alric was a little bit overdramatic, Arista didn’t want to argue with him again. “Alric. I had to do something. Modina was in danger. I can explain…”
    Alric wasn’t listening. “I trusted him when he consoled me of my father’s death. I trusted his advices about my cases. I was even ashamed that I disappointed him when he’d shown so much faith in me. And all this time he was responsible for father’s death, he conspired to have me fail and now he has almost murdered you.”
    It took a second for Arista to realize that Alric’s rage wasn’t aimed at her. Baffled, she remained still on the bed, silent as his brother ended his tirade against Saldur.
    Then, Alric turned, as he saw her for the first time. He was still angry, but the expression show more determination now. “Arista. We’re going to free Modina, now that Saldur confess everything. And then we’re going to write down your appeal at the Supreme Court to have you reinstalled immediately in the roll of lawyers.”
    “Oh.” Arista was still bewildered by his brother’s new side. “I already wrote it.”
    “What?”
    “The appeal request. I already wrote it.”
    “Against my explicit order?”
    “Yes.”
    Arista checked his brother, wondering if this admission would made him change his mind. Instead, Alric emitted a strangled sound that was his attempt to contain a laugh, then shook his head incredulous and rubbed his eyes. When he calmed down, he was smiled.
    “Let me see it.”

Modina and Amilia came to visit her two weeks later.
    “I would have come earlier,” Modina explained, “but I had to settle things at the factory first.”
    By Saldur’s machination, the management of the Novronian Company now that she wasn’t married anymore returned under the church’s administration, even if she was still the owner. The new handler was a young bishop named MXXX completely in disagreement with Saldur and steady in his faith. He was more than ready to let Modina managing her factory. Amilia’s dismissal was promptly retired and she was again at Modina’s side.
    The two women appeared happy and healthy. Even outside of prison Modina had the collected attitude that had impressed greatly Arista the first time they’d met, but now she also had an aura of peace that enlightened her, a glint in her eyes and a small curled on her lips, especially when she looked at Amilia.
    “I already spoke with Alric,” Modina went on, “I want you as a lawyer when I will appeal against my prenuptial agreement.”
    “The church should have no claim over Modina’s properties.” Now that Modina was safe, Amilia revealed a feral aspect too.
    “Bishop MXXX agrees, but of course we need a court to ratify it.”
    “It’ll be my pleasure, but…” Arista watched tired at the pile of papers she and Alric were preparing for her own appeal. “I’m still not a lawyer. I can assist Alric when-”
    “No.” Modina placed a hand over hers. “You will be a lawyer again. I can wait until that moment.”
    The tone in which she said that, and Amilia’s little smile, gave Arista a surge of confidence. If Modina said that, it had to be true. That was just her power and Arista couldn’t be more happy to have helped saving such a wonderful woman.
    They left in the same moment Alric and Mauvin were back, Mauvin from his sword teaching and Alric from the court, where he took care of the lower cases he still had to assist with. Their attitude was completely different from Modina and Amilia, but Arista was now sure to understand why Mauvin had got Amilia’s feeling so well.
    She wasn’t going to investigate, though.
    “Why are you smiling like that?” Alric asked, with a frown. “You look nuts.”
    “Modina was here. And I was just remembered why I want to be a lawyer.”
    And nobody would stop her by being one.

1 replies since 16/3/2023, 09:00   17 views