The true lover

[Voltron Legenday Defender] Infidelity

« Older   Newer »

Group
    Administrator

Status
    Anonymous
    It’s two days before the schedule arrival date.
    Curtis doesn’t expect Takashi already in their home, sitting on the couch. The room was lim dark, and Curtis ignores the shiver he feels.
    “Takashi! I didn’t expect you so early!” He closes the door and steps inside, abandoning the bag on the nearest table. “I would have pick you up and the space port. Something happen?”
    Now, Takashi has always been a very private man, and also one not very prone to too much affection. He’s more practical. Yet, after almost two weeks far away from Earth for a diplomatic mission, Curtis doesn’t expect from him such coldness. Takashi hasn’t even stood up to greet him.
    “Something happened,” he says.
    Curtis sits down next to him and tries to pick Takashi’s hand, but he moves it away.
    “What is it? Why didn’t you call me? You could have-”
    “I cheated on you.”
    The sentence was pronounced without an inch of regret and Curtis feels a shiver along all his body.
    It’s not happening. Not to them.
    “Okay,” Curtis says immediately. “Okay. It’s fine. I forgive you. I know how much alien diplomats are pushy sometimes and you’re too kind when they don’t know Earth costumes.”
    Takashi releases a small chuckle. “Do you think I would have betrayed you because of a diplomatic matter?”
    “Well… It doesn’t matter why. I forgive you nevertheless. We can talk about it and then be over it.”
    “I didn’t tell you to ask for your forgiveness, Curtis.” Finally, Takashi turns his head to look at him. “I’m telling you because it’s the right thing, and because you need an explanation about my decision.”
    “I’m listening.”
    Takashi licks his lips. “I want a divorce.”

Takashi “Shiro” Shirogane was the idols of everyone.
    Whe Curtis joined the Garrison, Shiro had freshly gotten his degree and was preparing for his first mission in space. They didn’t talk in that period, and later on Curtis saw him only in the brief time he was at the Garrison for helping some professors with the lessons. Like everyone, he had a crush on him, but not more than that.
    Then Sendak’s attack happened, and Takashi returned to Earth even more heroic than before. He’d escaped from the Galra prisoner, he’d guided a group of cadets in an interspace war and he was back to save Earth again. He took the command of the Atlas and even turned it into a gigantic robot almost stronger than Voltron itself.
    The Garrison Golden Boy became the Earth Golden Boy.
    Not even in his wildest dreams Curtis hoped to be at his level. But, somehow, he was chosen to be part of the crew of the Atlas’ bridge, and worked really near Takashi himself.
    When he invited Takashi to drink something after a training, he did it for joke. He definitely didn’t expect Takashi to accept, and definitely did not expect that date to be the first one of a long series. When, after just a year of dates, Takashi proposed, Curtis felt he could die of happiness.
    It was fast, maybe too fast, but Curtis wasn’t going to turn down Takashi Shirogane. Curtis still saw the way everyone looked at him, diplomats and solders alike. And, in the middle of everyone, Takashi chose him.
    And now he’s choosing to let him.

“Tomorrow I’ll send someone to pick my things.”
    “Can we talk about it?” Curtis asks, while Takashi throws his clothes inside the boxes. He can’t stand the sight of the almost empty wardrobe. “I’m pretty sure you’re overwhelming by the all thing and you’re not thinking clearly. I can sleep on the couch tonight, if you need some space.”
    “I assure you, I my mind wasn’t as clear in ages.” Takashi doesn’t stop his work, meticulously taking every object that is his own, and letting down what they bought together. “I can keep the house.”
    “I don’t want this stupid house. I want you.” Rage is surfacing on Curtis’ face, and he takes a deep breath. “I know you’re sincere and prideful and everything, but why do you feel the urge to leave me so fast only for a mistake?”
    “Because it wasn’t a mistake.” This time, Takashi stops and a sad smile appears on his face. “This may hurt you, but the only mistake I made in this all affair, was marring you in the first place. I’m sorry.”
    He recommences his work, as Curtis stands there, frozen for the horror.
    “What did I do?”
    “I really don’t want to put the rhetoric it isn’t you it’s me, but it’s true. I married you out of a feeling that it was the right thing in that moment, but I was wrong.”
    The fear of not being enough for the great Takashi Shirogane never leaves Curtis, but at least he hoped it would have been less painful.
    “And you understood it while you were fucking another person?” he spats.
    “First of all, he was fucking me,” Takashi replies, but then he has the grace to regret the remark. “And second, I didn’t cheat you just because. He was someone I’ve always loved, and I finally discovered he loved me back. That’s all.”
    He blabbered some other excuses, but Curtis isn’t listening anymore.

At first, they don’t tell anyone, but Curtis’ colleagues get immediately that something is wrong between the two of them. Usually, Takashi comes with Curtis to check on the Garrison base, after all is still the Captain of the Atlas, even retired. But now they come separately, and they don’t eat together either.
    Iverson is the first one to approach Curtis, and he does because Takashi asked him a room in the Garrison dormitory for the time being, until he finds a definitive solution.
    “What happened?”
    “Oh, nothing,” Curtis feels the need to speak with someone that isn’t one of his parents, or his sister Claudia and his husband. He doesn’t need judgement, especially from two happy married couples. “Takashi just found out he loves someone else more than me.”
    “Ah.” Iverson’s expression doesn’t look as surprised as he should. Maybe Takashi told him something earlier, something different. “I’m sorry.”
    “It’s okay.”
    “I need you to keep quiet about it, please.”
    “Of course.”
    It doesn’t have any intention to let anyone fund out is a cuckold.

But of course the press finds out soon enough, especially because Curtis made a point of not signing the divorce papers, not matter of convenient the agreement is. Takashi asked him to get married, and now he has to live with that mistake with Curtis.
    Takashi avoids any interview, but he leaves a statement with the Garrison press office about how it’s true he cheated on Curtis and that he’s regretful about it, but he isn’t changing his mind about being with the man he cheated on. Curtis refuses to leave any comments on it.
    The public opinion is divided. A group turn the back at Takashi, ask the Garrison to fire him (ignoring that Takashi isn’t working for the Garrison anymore) and spread poison around. Another group is convinced that the mysterious man had somehow lured Takashi (who know which magic those aliens have?) because of course Takashi Shirogane won’t never. The last group is the quieter, and they believe that Takashi needs space and if he takes that decision, he knows best for himself.
    Curtis doesn’t know which group should appreciate more.
    What the press doesn’t know, and doesn’t find out, is Takashi’s mysterious lover.
    They investigate at the conference Takashi attended, but with not avail. All the diplomats there negate any involvement, but they may be ling to protect their position. The only person at the conference Takashi knew beforehand was Keith, and – witness says – they spend a large amount of time together.
    If someone know about the man, it’s Keith. But Keith isn’t going to give away Takashi’s secrets even if it costs his life, and he isn’t even available because of some missions at the opposite corner of the universe.
    So, it remains a mystery, even for Curtis, who isn’t sure he prefers to know it or not.
    “I’m not telling anyone,” Takashi says. “I don’t want him in the middle of this shit.”
    Pity he doesn’t give Curtis the same consideration.

“I’m leaving tomorrow,” Takashi announces him. He comes in Curtis’ office just for this.
    “Leaving where?”
    “Lance will host me at Altea, until… he will be able to join me. Then, we’ll decide together where to go. Somewhere far, for the moment.”
    Curtis wants to escape too. “Good for you.”
    “Will you sign the divorce papers?”
    “No.”
    Takashi sighs. “The only results you’ll get is to make me more unfaithful. If it’s what you want, fine. But tomorrow I’ll leaving, and that’s final.”

For months, Curtis doesn’t have news of Takashi. Even the press’ last news was on Altea, but then Takashi leaves with a Galra ship and nobody was able to locate him after. Curtis tries to not think too much about the fact that he’s spending time with his mysterious lover.
    Then, Takashi returns, but this and his love affair are covered by the real important news: Princess Allura of Altea is back. After years of researches conduct by the Paladins and the Altea and Galra Accademy, she’s finally able to return to a physical, human form.
    Curtis doesn’t try to contact Takashi, even if he sees him often at Allura’s side, sometimes alone, sometimes with Keith as Daibazaal’s diplomat. The mysterious man is nowhere to be seen.
    The months that follow that event are full, especially for Curtis that works as a communicator officer at the Garrison. It’s a happy time, too busy to even think, and people around all the universe are happy to have the princess back. Allura herself takes a long time to settle back in her life.
    Still, the divorce papers remain unsigned on his desk.

When the situation calm down after Allura’s return, the Government of Altea decides to make a festival and a national holiday to celebrate her return. Curtis, as a member of the Atlas’ crew that fight in the war against Honerva, he’s invited to it alongside many of his old colleagues.
    He still tries to avoid Takashi has much as he can. Rationally, he knows he didn’t do anything bad, and that it’s entirely possible to have a civil conversation with him. But he looks at him once and he sees him so happy and it’s suddenly hard to realize he isn’t happy with him anymore.
    Luckily, the guests at the dinner are too many for someone to see his disappearance, especially because Alteans don’t know how to organize a party with tables. And they trust people so much they don’t even have sentinels around the palace. Curtis reaches the internal garden of the palace, enlightened only by the two moons of Altea.
    Yet, in the mid light, he spots the female figure bended next to a flower bed.
    “Princess Allura,” he exhales. He saw her many times on the Atlas, but they hadn’t never spoke.
    She stands up and turns at him. “They sent you to call me?”
    “Actually, uhm, no. I just need a break.”
    “Me too.” Her gaze follows the line of the juniberries. “I’m happy to be back, but it’s a little bit overwhelming sometimes. The others mean well, but I need space and time.”
    “I’m pretty sure they understand.” Curtis listened to Veronica about Lance’s plan for letting Allura rest as much as she needs.
    He leans his hand forwards. “I’m Curtis,” and then, in a surge of pettiness, he adds, “Shiro’s husband.”
    “Pleasure.” Allura shakes his hand, then tilts her head a little. “Husband… then you should be worried, because I just saw Shiro and Keith making up in the upper terrace.”
    Curtis pales, and she chuckles a little. “Apologize. Lance told me about the divorce.”
    “Ah.” He should probably apologize, but then he realizes. “Keith?”
    “I can’t believe nobody else realized it,” she scoffs. “But, to your defense, you didn’t see what I did.”
    “What?”
    “Before we returned to Earth, Shiro was… sick,” she says. “She was dying, and not even my alchemy can do anything for it. And then… Keith just pleaded him to not leave him, and Shiro… recovered immediately.” She smiles softly. “I thought they would kiss there and then, but maybe Keith didn’t want in front of his mother.”
    “I didn’t know…”
    Of course, legends and tail about the Black and the Red Paladins spread around after the Earth war, but they were mostly about how Takashi guided Keith into becoming the leader of Voltron, as a mentor, or a big brother. Most people at the Garrison remembered the time Keith was a cadet and Takashi took him under his wing with the purpose of making him his hair as the new big Garrison pilot.
    And even the Paladins seems to consider them just close friends, the kind you find once in your life, someone you love but you’re not in love with. They all, Curtis included, interpreted Keith’s glare at the wedding as Keith’s protectives over Shiro. The type, ‘I’m going to kill you if you ever make Takashi sad’ kind of thing.
    But now little things come on Curtis’ mind.
    The way Takashi’s mood improved every time Keith called after a mission.
    The way Takashi always managed to put Keith in any conversations.
    The way Takashi thought about Keith first in every occasion.
    The fact that, with the except of their honeymoon, Keith has always come for every vacation they took, even if for just a couple of days.
    They’ve been so blind. Curtis has fought with the ghost of the relationship with Keith – a relationship he can’t top, not matter how much he tries – for all his marriage life, and he doesn’t even norice.
    Probably Takashi himself has been blind all this time, Curtis realizes, remembering his words after the affair.
    “If I would have been there, maybe I would be able to settle things between them before you ended up in the middle, and I’m sorry for this.” Her tone is quiet. “But if there’s a thing I’ve learned, is that Keith is always able to bring Shiro back.”

The terrace is on the upper side of the palace, but it isn’t dedicated to the party. A perfect way to have an affair in, a dark place no one will attend. Curtis is relief Takashi and Keith aren’t making up when he arrives.
    He doesn’t come near. He watches them by far, the way Keith’s fingers rub Shiro’s metal arm, and the way Takashi is keeping his hand on Keith’s back. Their gazes are soft, the lips curled into sweet smiles, almost hidden. There is an intimacy between them that looks almost magic.
    And in that moment Curtis understands he has been the lover all along.

The first thing after returning home is to sign the divorce papers.

0 replies since 28/2/2020, 20:11   14 views