The proposal

[Voltron Legenday Defender]

« Older   Newer »

Group
    Administrator

Status
    Anonymous
    For his wedding proposal, Lance hired the MFE Pilots to write down a love poem for Allura in the sky. Then, he had a choir of Altean children sing a love song and Red herself bringing the ring for Allura. People speak about that for weeks, it became almost a legend in the planet around Altea.
    Shiro isn’t so dramatic. It doesn’t mean he doesn’t want his proposal to be something special too.
    Things between him and Keith are good. Wonderful, even. Despite the time both of them spend in space for their work and their missions, their relationship is working. It feels natural and even if they miss each other greatly, the time they spend together compensate everything.
    It’s natural that Shiro ends up thinking about a wedding. Something simple, just because he wants to make his love official for everyone. He has no idea how to tell Keith, though. Keith seems content with everything they have; sometimes, he expresses loud that he can’t believe they actually have that and Shiro is sure he won’t ask for more.
    “Just invite him out for dinner,” Hunk suggests Shiro one day. “Keith is a blunt one, he doesn’t go for complicate things. I’m pretty sure he will be happy enough for the proposal alone.”
    Not having better ideas (he definitely won’t follow any Galra traditions on it, nor Alteans), Shiro decides to follow Hunk’s advice. He makes a reservation in the fancy restaurant in town (five-stars and everything), plans an aphrodisiac menu, and asks to the restaurant manager about a special dessert with the wedding proposal on it. And he invites Keith at his first free evening.
    He doesn’t tell him it’s a special occasion, because it will ruin the surprise, so Keith arrives with his jeans and his leather jacket, not branded hair but kept into a low ponytail. It’s a definitely contrast to Shiro’s suit and even Keith looks embarrassed once he notices he’s the only one without a suit in the entire restaurant.
    “I didn’t know there is a dress code here,” Keith says.
    “There isn’t,” Shiro reassures him. “And you look fine with it, don’t worry.”
    Keith blushes a little and smiles. “Thanks. You too.”
    The waiter that welcomes them doesn’t make any impression at Keith’s clothes, and that put him ease, much for Shiro’s relief. Their table is on a private corner, not enough for people not to notice them (Shiro’s face is still pretty popular on Earth), but enough to not have the entire attention on them.
    “What about the list?”
    “I ordered their special menu,” Shiro explains. “This restaurant… it’s specialized in nouvelle cousin or something like that, so for the first time I guess it’s better to try their offer. I gave a look at the name of the dishes and it’s impossible to understand what they are.”
    It isn’t even a lie. Keith shrugs.
    “It can’t be worse than Altean food, can it?”
    It isn’t. It’s just… smaller. Small. Even for an appetizer. They serve a big round plate with a two centimeters slice of bread with some sauce and olive and fish on it. Keith blinks at it, he looks around and then take it with his hand, examining it perplex.
    “At least is good,” Shiro says, after eating it. Then, he tries to make his best gastronomic critic he can manage, “The bread is perfectly toasted, crispy at the right point; spicy sauce, it goes well with the olive but it doesn’t hide the taste of the fish, which is the last thing that remains in your mouth.”
    “What kind of fish?” Keith asks.
    “I have no idea.”
    Keith laughs. He eats his piece too and snorts. “Sorry, I’m not as much poetic as you. Too small to enjoy any taste.”
    The rest of the dinner isn’t much different, and at a certain point, when they serve them a grilled fish that could come off from a house doll, giving his size, Shiro has no ideas anymore to entertain Keith as they eat. Keith doesn’t seem annoyed by the entire dinner, more amused that people consider it a great restaurant, but for Shiro this could be a disaster.
    “Do you remember, Shiro, the time you bring me in that awful restaurant for your wedding proposal?”
    Absolutely no, Shiro isn’t going to have that as a memory.
    His brain is still thinking about something funny to lift the mood, when Keith speaks. He doesn’t look at Shiro, just playing with the small grilled fish with his fork.
    “We should get married.”
    “What?” Shiro exclaims. It’s a miracle he’s able to actually say a word, because he can’t believe it.
    “Yeah, I mean… I know it’s suddenly, but…” Keith is embarrassed, a slight tone of pink on his cheek as he tries to be very focused on his grilled fish. “We’re together for a while now and I think it can be the right moment… maybe…”
    “Why now?” And Shiro forces himself not to scream. “I mean, it’s very suddenly. Definitely very suddenly.”
    “Well, last week I was at Zethrid and Ezor’s wedding,” Keith starts.
    “Yes, I remember you told me about Galra’s traditions. And about the fact you had to fight Ezor for Zethrid of something like that.”
    Keith laughs and nods. “Yeah, the groom and the bride choose a champion, and their betrothed has to defeat him or her to prove the love is real and powerful,” he explains. “Ezor was very pissed about me. She complained Zethrid didn’t want to marry her for real since she chose a fucking Voltron Paladin. Her words.”
    “And it was true?”
    “Nah, Zethrid just wanted to screw with me and see her girlfriend kicking my ass. I mean, it’s not like I can defeat her for real and ruin the entire wedding.” Keith smiles at the memory: despite everything, he’s fond of his colleagues. “We are not going to do that at our wedding.”
    “Oh, why not?” Shiro complains. “I was going to choose Lance as my champion.”
    “That’s not funny,” Keith replies, with a laugh. “And be careful, because I could choose Allura. Or Pidge.”
    Well, Shiro would have been screwed with both of them. Better not try too much his luck.
    Keith eats the grilled fish in one bite. “Well, my mother was there too, and she said something along the fact she never got to marry my father and well, there was other problems back then, but I thought… about us…” he presses his lips together. “You don’t have to say yes. I’m fine the way we are.”
    “What? No, no, of course I want to marry you.”
    “Oh. Good.”
    “Yes. Good. Good.”
    The conversation stops.
    Shiro registers absently-minded as the waiter takes his plate and brings another one, and eats the small amount of food without even thinking about it. He’s going to marry Keith. He’s happy about it. It doesn’t matter who asks first, right? And to be fair honest, the entire dinner sucks, so maybe it’s for the best if Keith never finds out his idea.
    “We don’t really have to marry,” Keith says, at last, while he takes the last sip of the very expensive wine Shiro ordered.
    “You said you want to.”
    “Of course, but… You don’t like the idea much, so…”
    “No, no. I like it! I like it very much! What makes you think I don’t?”
    Keith gestures with his arms around, with a small frown on his face, a clear way to say “everything”.
    “It’s not like that. For real. Just…”
    He doesn’t get the chance to finish the sentence, because the waiter comes with the tray of dessert: two small cupcakes, one chocolate, one red velvet, shaped as lion, with a sentence written with chocolate in between: will you marry me? He places the tray on the table between the two of them, the written turned on Keith, and he leaves after reserving them a smart smile. Shiro prays that something, anything just happens so he can escape the second hand embarrassment he’s feeling.
    “That was your plan for the dinner?” Keith asks. He doesn’t take his eyes off the dessert tray.
    “Yes.”
    “Shiro. Shiro. I’m so sorry. So so sorry.” Keith places both hands to hide his face. “I can’t believe I just beat you on this…”
    At first, Shiro images the small flinches of Keith’s shoulder to be caused by tears. And he’s moved too, and he’s about to reassuring him, that everything is fine and he isn’t offended by it, it was an accident and Keith can’t guess it, because it’s supposed to be a surprise… But no. Keith’s movements are because he’s trying – and failing – not to laugh.
    Well, now Shiro is offended.
    “You’re laughing. I can’t believe you’re laughing.”
    “Sorry. Sorry.” Keith doesn’t look sorry at all. He stands up, takes the red velvet cupcake and stuffs it in his mouth. Not a simple task, considering he’s still try not to laugh. He turns around and leaves the restaurant with steady steps.
    Shiro blinks. He grabs his own cupcake and follows him: Keith hasn’t gotten too far, he’s in the porch in front of the restaurant, this time laughing full force. Shiro imagined tears in Keith’s eyes after his proposal, just not like that.
    He crosses his arms. “Are you done?”
    Keith takes a long, deep breath. “Maybe?” He looks at the front door of the restaurant. “Please tell me you paid already and we haven’t just give the impression to leave without paying.”
    “Don’t worry, I had. I had planned everything but you ruining my dinner.” He shots a not amused look at Keith, who is about to laugh again, and eats his cupcake. “But we probably give the impression you rejected my proposal.”
    “Ops,” Keith muses. “Should I return inside and announce to everyone I accept?”
    “Do you?”
    Keith tilts his head. He moves near him. “Of course I do,” he says, and he gets up on his toes to kiss him and lick from his lips the crumbs of the chocolate cupcake.
    “That’s reassuring.”
    “We still not having any Galra tradition at our wedding.”
    “Deal if we ask everyone else but this restaurant for the catering.”
    Keith laughs. “I’m still hungry.”
    “Same. Mc’s?”
    “Mc’s.”
    And that’s it.
    Shiro can’t say it’s the best proposal in the world but it works in the end. They make everything work in the end.

0 replies since 15/3/2019, 21:31   9 views