[One Piece] - what if?

« Older   Newer »

1. Akemichan

Group
    Administrator

Status
    Anonymous
    Capitolo 5

Lestrade’s face was dark as he entered in the office, so Sabo suspected he didn’t bring good news.
    As his life wasn’t miserable enough, with Nentokanette that refused to leave her room to fulfill her duty, with Lady Chambord and Lord Richey that quarreled about the smallest things just to put Sabo and Pratchett in difficult positions and with the Revolutionary Army that hadn’t answered him yet. Besides Sabo’d been at the funeral of the two sailors and his mood wasn’t the best.
    But it was not the time anymore to hid and wait for the hits to pass. He’d stood up and he put on stand, so he had to fight back, whatever they brought to him. As he looked at Lestrade, he was ready.
    “I apologize, your royal highness,” Lestrade bowed. “I have news about the bombing.” His eyes shifted to Pratchett, a silent request for Sabo to remain alone.
    “Pratchett can stay,” Sabo assured him. “Right now, you two are my only allies.”
    Pratchett smiled and nodded enthusiastically, while Lestrade sighed deeply. “I didn’t mean…” he began, but then stopped. “I know who the culprit is.”
    Sabo’s eyes widened. “You’re great,” he commented sincerely. He hadn’t had many hopes about it, even if he felt that punishing the culprit would bring some peace to the victims and their family. “Who is he? How do you find it?”
    “I contacted the marines,” Lestrade explained. “I remembered a news about a bomb expert that was helping the government before they found out he sold his inventions to pirates too. He became a wanted man and he was spotted in the East Blue a couple of weeks ago.”
    “Did the marines have news?”
    “They were about to catch him, but he escaped,” Lestrade answered. “Even so, the marines managed to take a hold about an exchange of money. A payment for a job he did.”
    “I guess the job was our bombing?”
    Lestrade nodded. “I questioned the sailors that were loaning the luggage on the sunk ship and a couple of them remembered him around, but since he was with the other servants, they weren’t suspicious. He knew how to act and how the king and the prince had their luggage brought by.”
    “We already suspected the culprit was someone used to the royal habits, since he knew also that the king and the prince spend all their time onboard in their cabin, even for the meal.”
    “Correct. So I followed the money to find who gave them to the bomb expert.” At this point, he stopped and looked uncertain.
    “Who he was?” Sabo pressed.
    When Lestrade spoke, it felt it would have been easier for him to have all his teeth extracted from him without anesthesia. “Your father, your royal highness. Lord Outlook III.”
    Pratched gasped and let the pencil fell from his hands. Sabo remained speechless, uncertain how to react at the news. His mind raced fast, switching from the shame for his father to the consequences it could bring to him, from the many times his father had hit him to the way to return this particular one.
    “I should have expected this,” he said, at last. “Is this confirmed without any doubts?”
    “Unfortunately, yes.” Lestrade’s face darkened. “My men chatted with discretion with the servant of the manor and they confirmed having seen the bomb expert. Also, Lord Outlook ordered his son – Lord Stelly – to remain home that day, faking an illness.”
    “But Stelly was there,” Sabo pointed out.
    “I’m aware, still he didn’t get on board for a missing paper, which is suspicious at least.”
    “Definitely,” Sabo agreed reluctantly. “And about my mother?”
    “She’s innocent, as far as I know. Servants commented she was surprise by her husband’s request about Lord Stelly and no explanation was given to her.”
    “Sounds plausible. She never got involved in my father’s affair.”
    Sabo took a long sigh, he closed his eyes and leaned against the back of the chair. He was angry, most at himself for not having seen that strike coming. He didn’t ask to become king; as usual, his father’d decided for him. He wasn’t able to avoid his father’s hits as he should have known they would have coming.
    He regretted not having thought better the last time he’d spoke with his father: the Grey Terminal Project had been a success and Sabo was too overwhelmed by that, too confident. He should have kept his father quiet, relaxed him as he would have keep working on his objective. Now it was too late: he had to face the consequences of his actions, whatever they could be.
    More than usual, he needed Dragon’s advice. But he hadn’t answered his plead yet.
    “I have a suggestion,” Lestrade broke the silence. “Except for us, nobody but my men know about it. And they won’t talk, your royal highness, because they’re loyal to you as I am.”
    “I’m glad to hear that,” Sabo murmured. He’d opened his eyes again, fixing them on Lestrade’s face.
    “We can reveal the result of our investigation later… After the coronation ceremony.”
    “Or never.” Pratchett’s suggestion was just a whisper, but his gaze was steady.
    Sabo reflected, his eyes longing in the far. They could. They could keep quiet. Sabo could be a good king, maybe. Keeping on with his project to make the life of the poor better. To destroy the rules of nobility.
    On the other hand, his father would get a pass free.
    After all he’d done, he didn’t deserve it. Especially, he didn’t deserve grace from Sabo. His father’d put him in that situation twice: first making him a king, then risking to destroy everything, because there was no doubt in Sabo’s mind that a lot of people would use his father’s guilt to take him down.
    “Thank you, but no,” Sabo said at last. “The families of the victims deserve justice.”
    “I beg at least to wait until the coronation ceremony,” Lestrade pleaded.
    “I won’t see my father there,” Sano replied, harsher than he should be. “Arrest him right now, he and my step-brother.”
    Lestrade was about to tell something, but in the end nodded. “As you order, your royal highness. What about your mother?”
    Sabo turned to Pratchett. “Go with Lestrade. Confiscate all the bank account. Make a list of all my father’s property and put them up for auction. All the earning will be devolved to the victims’ families as refund.”
    “As you ordered, your royal highness.” Pratchett didn’t look so happy to oblige.
    Sabo talked again to Lestrade. “I heard the nursery school at the Grey Terminal needs help. My mother won’t have a house anymore after this, so she can stay there. I’m pretty sure the headmaster will be happy to give her board and lodging in exchange of a hand at work.”
    Lestrade’s gaze remained on Sabo for a long second, before bowing. Sabo was glad he didn’t comment further. Only when he and Pratchett were out of the room, Sabo groaned and leaned on the desk.

There was a victorious note in Lord Richey’s tone as he announced, “Hey royal highness Princess Nentokanette requests your presence in the throne hall.”
    Sabo exchanged a look with Pratchett, noticing the same doubts he had. Nentokanette hadn’t left her room after the accident and now she used the Chamberlain to speak to her husband. Something was going on and, Sabo guessed, there would be trouble for him.
    “Fine,” he commented. He nodded at Pratchett to accompany him and both of them follow Lord Richey. They reached the throne hall from a secondary door, the one reserved for the royal servant, but not the one the king and the queen used.
    As Sabo suspected, all the paterfamilias of the most important royal families of Goa were gathered together there, with Lord Byron and Lord Fersen in front. Nentonakette sat on the throne, something that didn’t respect the etiquette since she wasn’t the queen yet. Still, Lord Richey acted as it wasn’t something out of the ordinary and moved to take his spot next to the throne, alongside Lady Chambord and Lord Muzesky.
    Sabo shrugged as Nentokanette tried hard not to look at him and he directed his look to the audience. He didn’t move to the throne, he just crossed his arms and smirked. They were the one to summon him: he wouldn’t be the one to speak first.
    And he was at ease, while the silence became almost unbearable. Sabo restrained himself to laugh at the stressed look on Lord Byron’s face, as he realized he couldn’t speak without the authorization of a member of the royal family and, right now, Nentokanette was trembling.
    At least, she swallowed hard. “The most noble men of this country requested a private meeting with our royal highness about an important matter that I felt it needs to be discusses. Please.”
    Those words drained her, so she sighed relieved when Lord Fersen stepped forward. “Thank you, your royal highness.” He didn’t move to look at Sabo as he spoke, “We are deeply concerned about the future of our kingdom. Is the son of the man that killed the previous king really suitable to be our next king?”
    It was clear all the nobles expected Sabo to argue, because they started looking at each other when Sabo remained still, only tilting his head a little. Even Lord Fersen licked his lips, unable to continuing his speech.
    “In other words, we don’t want the son of a murderer as a king. We should discuss a way for Princess Nentokanette to divorce and chose a better candidate for the throne,” Lord Byron intervened.
    Sabo’s smirk grew bigger.
    For the Goa’s law, members of the royal family could divorce only for two reasons: treason or infertility. They hadn’t any evidences Sabo was involved in his father’s murder plan, because Lestrade had carried out a fair investigation, and even if Sabo hadn’t a son yet, they couldn’t be sure Sabo was sterile. It was a poorly attempt to force Sabo to resign voluntarily.
    “You have nothing to say?” Nentokanette snapped, looking at him for the first time.
    “No,” Sabo replied.
    She bit her lips, her nails pressed to the wooden arm of the throne. “You… You…” Her face was red. “Your father killed mine and you act as everything is okay! You don’t even tell me about that!”
    “I didn’t because you refused to talk to me,” Sabo said. He hadn’t move from his position and his tone was calm.
    Nentonakette was about to reply, but Sabo’s look made her to give up: they both know he was right since she’d even closed the door that connected their two rooms.
    “But I never hide what my father did. I made him arrested in plain sight, and that’s the reason why Lady Chambord could tell you about it.” Said lady stiffened, turning away his gaze. “And the reason why all you could come here today with this information,” he finished, looking at the group of the nobles.
    “My father and my brother were killed because of you and you aren’t even a little bit guilty about it!” Nentokanette rushed to him and slammed her fist against Sabo’s chest. “I hate you! I hate you!”
    “Her royal highness…” Pratchett murmured, but Sabo lift a hand to stop him.
    “You’re done?” he said to Nentokanette, as he saw her bowed her head and cried, her first still pressed to his chest.
    Lord Byron took advantage of the moment of silence. “I think we all here should respect the will of her royal highness as she expressed it right now. She’s the only person with the royal blood here.” And the other around him agreed.
    Sabo smirked at him. “I decided to let a month pass between the funeral of the previous king and the coronation ceremony, so we could use these seven days only for mourning and the next thirty days to discuss about the future. But you don’t even wait: your greed is showing.”
    Lord Byron startled at the accusation. “I’m just worried about the future of my kingdom…” he blabbered, embarrassed.
    “Which is the reason why you broke the engagement of your son just after my father had been arrested,” Sabo replied. “He had to be available for the princess, otherwise Lord Fersen’s son will have an advantage.”
    Lord Fersen turned his eyes to Lord Byron, eyes widened. He didn’t know about the break up, at least so it seemed by the look on his face, a mixed of surprise and disappointment.
    Sabo had still something to say. He was going to strike back, and he knew for sure that Nentokanette never learn how to cover her face to avoid major pain. Sabo wasn’t sorry for her.
    “Lucky for you, Nentokanette,” Sabo said. He gave her a small pat on the shoulder. “You’ll spent the days after the funeral of your father and brother with people fighting for your hands, treating you as the puppet you are.”
    She lifted her head, looking at him with big teary eyes. “I’m not a puppet! I am the royal princess!” she yelled, as she stepped far from him
    “You’re not?” Sabo replied. “I wonder if they told you all the truth. Like what your brother said to my father at one of their reunions.” He turned to the group of nobles. “Keep your son on the line or I’ll take care of him once and for all. Am I quoting correct?” And he enjoyed the shocked look on their faces.
    “What? He... It’s true?” Nentokanette sputtered. Fersen didn’t answer, but his eyes moved from her.
    Sabo shrugged, then spoke, “The funeral will take place in two days. After that, I will present the analysis that testified I’m sterile, so Nentokanette can divorce from me.”
    A glimpse of victory emerged from all the nobles’ eyes, even if the just nodded, faking humility. Nentokanette gasped. Lord Byron was the only one that still looked at Sabo with suspect, but after Sabo exposed the situation of his son, he couldn’t press for a faster resolution.
    “We thank your grace for understanding out doubts and sacrifice yourselves for the sake of this kingdom,” he said, with a bow with show anything but respect. “We have another request: none of us would risk you to manage to kill her royal highness before the divorce.”
    It was preposterous for Byron to say that, and Nentokanette herself blinked at Sabo as the possibilities occurred to her only in that moment.
    “I agree,” Sabo nodded. “Please, Lord Richey, arrange for Lestrade some surveillance around the princess. I’ll stay in my room until the funeral ceremony. Starting from now,” he added, as a smirk appeared on his face. “Nentokanette will take care of my duty. If she’s able to, which I doubt. Now, if you excuse me.”
    He left the room without any other words, without waiting for another accusation. He had the outrages look of Nentokanette in mind. Well, she deserved it. She’s one of them after all. One of his enemies.
    Pratchett had followed him, but only when they reach the royal wing of the palace, he spoke, “you can’t do that, your highness! You can’t let them win!” Since Sabo didn’t comment, he continued, “What will happen to the normal people without you? What will happen to the Grey Terminal? What will happen to me?”
    Pratchett stopped: on his face there was some shame, but Sabo knew he wasn’t a selfish question. After all, none of the other nobles would ever give a chance for a not noble to ascend at higher position. Only Sabo used meritocracy.
    “I wasn’t supposed to become king. I don’t even want it,” Sabo explained. “I was here only to try and make thing better while other people takes the high stand. That’s the reason I didn’t bother to flatter the nobility and now I have no allies among them.”
    “You have me and Lestrade, you said so yourselves.”
    “And I’m grateful for it,” Sabo confirmed. “You won’t enough to defeat them though.” He smiled. “Do you know what create a king?”
    Pratchett blinked. “The blood?”
    “The people,” Sabo corrected him. “You can’t be a king if you don’t have people you reign over.” Pratchett’s eyes bulged in understanding. “I’m taking a dangerous bet, but maybe I did something good for this kingdom.”
    “You did! You did…”
    Sabo smiled again. “Let’s hope so.”
    Pratchett didn’t add anything, so Sabo opened the door of his room and locked himself inside. He shot a glance at the window, hoping to see the familiar figure of the crow, but nothing was there. With a sigh, he fell down on his bed.

It took a lot of effort to Nentokanette to look at Sabo not even once during the funeral ceremony. In some way, Sabo almost admired her, giving they had left the royal palace together, they’d stayed in the same carriage and they’d sat together in the church during the funeral.
    When it ended, Nentokanette released a sigh. Tears dropped from her eyes, but she looked more at peace now. She turned as Sabo offered her his arms, then she remembered she was angry at him and avoided him reaching for the chariot alone. Sabo shrugged: there was more important matter for him at the moment.
    He’d noticed there was three important absences at the funeral: the families of the other victims of the shipwrecked. However, their head was present when Byron and Fersen had asked Sabo to resign. Not being there was just to protest Sabo was. So despite all efforts Sabo’d made to make amend for the victims, he understood he couldn’t count on nobles.
    He sighed, as he shot a glare to the carriage in front of his. It transported the empty coffins of the previous king and prince Louigis: he couldn’t stand them, but he regretted their death. He never asked to strike back so badly, only enough to defend himself. But again, that wasn’t his choice: the strike came from the same person that had hurt him in the past.
    Behind his carriage, the others nobles’ followed. Sabo knew they’re watching him close, fearing he would use this occasion to kill Nentokanette.
    So their panic was understandable when the townspeople, who were paying their regards to the coffins, since they weren’t admitted to the funeral, became too close to the carriages, until it was impossible to keep going.
    “Lestrade!” Nentokanette called. He was supposed to surveil the area and keep people away but, Sabo noticed, the royal guards were at the corner of the streets, checking the situation but not stopping the people in any way.
    “Hold it,” Sabo ordered at the driver, who ordered at the horse to stop.
    “What are you doing?”
    Sabo ignored Nentokanette and jumped outside the carriage, in the middle of the townspeople. In that moment, all the buzz ended. Sabo remained still in front of the two women who were the sister and the wife of the two sailors that lost their lives in the bombing. He’d recognized them, since he saw them both at their home and at the funerals of the two sailors. He bowed slightly to them.
    “You came to the funeral,” she said one of them, at last.
    “Yes.”
    “Your father was the cause of the death of my brother,” the other one said.
    “Yes.” Sabo felt a sting in his heart: he also had lost a brother, in the cruelest way, and he felt angry with the entire world about it. “I can’t ask for your forgiveness, because I understand how you feel and that you want justice. From my part, I can assure my father will pay for it as you’d like to.”
    Inside him, he cursed his father. He wouldn’t be surprise if most of the people would think his father’d obeyed his order, so he could become king. Most people would think he was the real culprit behind everything and that he would let his father being punished instead of him. Once again, he was marked and ruined by his father’s actions.
    Since the two women didn’t add anything, he turned and returned back to the carriage. The crowd was still there, blocking the way for the carriages. Nentokanette’s irritably increased, so Sabo was about to call for Lestrade, when an applause erupted, filling the street.
    “Long life to the king. Long life to King Sabo!” the crowd enchanted.
    Relief grabbed Sabo’s stomach and he swallowed to keep the anxiety of the past days inside him. His eyes burned, but he still managed to stand up and bowed to the crown, which finally step aside to let the carriages move. They followed the parade until the cemetery, when they remained silence to respect for the dead, and then they started again with their choirs until they reached the royal palace, so Sabo spent his time still waving and bowing at them.
    In Sabo’s mind, the image was clearly: from his hideout, he stood up. No one was going to hit him, because he had the entire kingdom in his back. They’re outnumbered and they run away. He’d felt the same with the Revolutionary Army but this was different. This wasn’t him fighting back, this was him not needing it anymore.
    Nentokanette’s anger was clear visible, but she waited for them to reach the royal palace ballroom to explode.
    “You knew it! You did it in purpose to humiliate me!”
    “Definitely not for that reason,” Sabo replied gently.
    She glared at him, fury in her eyes. She trumped to one of the table that the maids were setting for the buffet and grabbed one of the plates. She threw it at Sabo, that avoided it easily, which made Nentokanette even more angry. She managed to throw a couple of plates more before Sabo’s reached her and grabbed both of her wrists.
    “Let me go!” she struggled.
    “Even if you’re angry at me, it’s not right to ruin the work of the people that spent their time setting up the banquet,” he commented. The maids, who’d hurried to clean the floor, stopped to look at the royal couple. “Apologize.”
    “That’s not necessary,” lady Chambord intervened, but Sabo cut her down.
    “Stay out of it!”
    She startled, but she had no courage to continue.
    “I’m the princess!” Nentokanette screamed. She couldn’t break free from Sabo’s grip.
    “Then start acting like one,” Sabo replied. He wasn’t angry, but his eyes were determined as he watched her closer. Slowly, she stopped struggling. A “sorry” escaped from her lips. She bowed her head and, as soon as Sabo released her, she run away from the ballroom.
    Sabo watched her disappearing in the hallway, before turning at the group of nobles that had accompanied them since the funeral. He could see the nervousness of their looks, because even if they didn’t consider the people much, what had happened made an effect.
    “I apologize about my wife’s behavior,” Sabo said. “I should stay with her, but you can enjoy the banquet, so we won’t waste the effort.”
    “We have an agreement,” Byron murmured.
    “Oh, yes,” Sabo commented. “The doctor sent my analysis yesterday: I’m capable to have children. Isn’t that a good news?”
    “Excellent one, your majesty.” Pratchett wasn’t at the funeral, but he waited for the right moment to make his appearance in the ballroom. He wasn’t supposed to call Sabo with that honorary before his coronation, but Sabo appreciated it, as he was enjoying the look on the nobles’ faces.
    “You… You killed the king. You don’t deserve…”
    “There is no proof of that, am I right, Lestrade?” Sabo turned his head to him.
    “Correct, your majesty,” he replied, as he gestured at the royal guards, who took place all around the ballroom, rifles in hand in a very threatening manner. “Lord Outlook III was, until now, the only culprit of the bombing.”
    “Like I said, enjoy the banquet.” Sabo smirked at the nobles. “This is still the day of mourning. From tomorrow, you’ll have thirty days to settle down with the idea I’ll be king. Or assassinate me in the meantime, if you can.”
    For this time, he didn’t wait to see their expression. There was a more important matter to take care off, so he left the ballroom and moved for the royal quartiers. Nentokanette’s door was locked, so Sabo simply kicked it until he opened, without even knocking.
    She welcomed him throwing a pillow. “I hate you. I hate you so much!” She sank her head in the bed, refusing to see him.
    “I already know that,” Sabo replied. He remained near the door, not making any gesture towards her.
    She glared. “You’re not even sorry about what your father did to mine? And my brother!”
    “I am,” Sabo said. “I didn’t want that. I don’t even want being king. But that matter something to you? Or are you already convinced I’m as guilty as my father?”
    She licked her lips, not answering.
    So Sabo continued, “if I stepped out of our marriage, someone else will take my place. Maybe he will treat you better, but you’ll be always only a way to reach the throne, no else. Because that’s what you are.”
    “I thought you were different,” she admitted.
    “Maybe, in some way I am,” Sabo nodded. “That’s why I’m offering you a deal.”
    “A deal?”
    “When I’ll be king, I’ll change the law that prevent woman to reign alone,” Sabo explained. “No Byron neither Fersen would like something like that. I don’t care. I won’t be here forever.” He paused. “Next time, they couldn’t treat you as a puppet anymore.”
    She blinked, so two tears slipped on her tears. She remained silent.
    “Think about it,” Sabo finished. Go out from your hideout, and stop protecting your face. Get ready to be hurt more, but also to fight.
    Since the passage between their two rooms was still locked and Sabo didn’t want to break another door, he left to the hallway and close the door behind him as much as it was possible. He found Pratchett here, waiting for him.
    “I apologize, your majesty,” he said. “I wasn’t eavesdropping.”
    Sabo raised an eyebrow. “I don’t mind as long as it’s you,” he replied. “I don’t have secret.” Almost, he thought, as his mind went back to the Revolutionary Army, that still hadn’t contacted him.
    “Thank you.” Pratchett smiled. “The nobles left without even touching the banquet.”
    “Disappointed but not surprised,” Sabo commented. “Send all the food to the Downtown and the Gray Terminal, they’ll appreciated it. And…” his lips trembled a little. “Thanks for what you did. I know you had something to do with the little show after the funeral,” he added, at Pratchett confused expression.
    “Oh. That.” Pratchett bit his lips, cheeks red. “Lestrade told me people were gossip about you so… I had to do something. Explain what would mean having you as a king. And apparently it made quite an impression that you’d like to step aside from the king’s position. Especially the people from the Grey Terminal.”
    “I own you big time.”
    “No. We’re even,” Pratchett replied. “You hired me because I’m good. And I want you king for the same reason.” He bit his lips. “What do you mean before, about not being king forever?”
    “And here you said you weren’t eavesdropping,” Sabo joked. “Don’t worry about that, for now. Let’s focused on staying alive until the coronation ceremony.”
    “Do you really think they will try something?” Pratchett sounded alarmed.
    “Yes.”
    “I’ll talk to Lestrade; we’ll reinforce the security. We can hire some bodyguards for you and…” His voice trailed. “Shouldn’t be worried about Lady Chambord and the others too?”
    “Definitely. But I won’t fire them for now. It only makes things worse.”
    “They won’t be grateful for this.”
    “Probably not,” Sabo agreed with a sigh. He felt tired and Pratchett understood that.
    “There’s something more I can do for you, your majesty?”
    “No, thank you.”
    With a bow, he turned around and Sabo didn’t wait for him, before moving towards his room. When he closed the door, he heard a rumor and, a second after, he individuated a cloaked figure sitting on his bed. Did the nobles already send a killer after him? He was about to grabbed something to defend himself, when the figure moved his hood.
    Sabo’s eyes bulged. In the moment he saw Dragon in his room, he left free all the anxiety and the tension of the past days. Tears fell down his eyes as he throws himself at Dragon and sobbed against his chest. Dragon didn’t complain: he moved to the bed to sit as he hugged him.
    “I’m sorry I wasn’t able to come before,” was the first thing Dragon said when Sabo’s sobs calmed down.
    “No. No. I understand… You have a lot to do…” He rubbed his nose, to clean off the snot.
    “I still would prefer to arrive first. Tell me what happen.”
    And Sabo did. He talked and talked, explaining the reason of his choices and his worries about the future. He felt better after: he could count on Pratchett and Lestrade, and even if he could consider them his friend, they still were his subjects. Dragon was his boss, sort of.
    “You did a wonderful job,” Dragon commented at last.
    “I don’t want to be king,” Sabo stated.
    Dragon nodded. “But it could be useful from the time being. I promise you it won’t be forever.”
    “What should I do?” Sabo knew his voice sounded tired.
    “For now, we’ll keep you safe,” Dragon explained. “I’ll sent some reinforcement to check on you, because I fear those nobles won’t stay put.” He reached for his coat and pull off a small box. “In the meantime, I have something for you.”

Capitolo 6

Outlook’d a lot of time thinking about what it had gone wrong, since the prison didn’t allow him many distractions and the guards where deaf at his requests of seeing his son, the prince of Goa. The future king.
    In the end, he realized he didn’t make any mistakes. It was just misfortune his contact for the bomb was somewhat caught by the marines. And of Sabo would have been a little be smart and a little less honest, he would have hidden everything so Outlook wouldn’t have pass a day in prison.
    Still, his plan had worked. The king and the prince had died. Once Sabo would be king, the honor of the family would be restored. A small part of Outlook didn’t forget the look of hatred Sabo’d given him in the past, but all his being refused to believe his son, his own blood, would have left him in prison.
    And when the guards came to call him, because his majesty would talk with him, he knew he wasn’t wrong.
    He was lead to the small room for the interview. Sabo was already there, sat down in a chair on the opposite side of the table. Outlook’s relief made his legs tremble.
    “Your Majesty…”
    His son was the king. It was wonderful.
    The guard glared at him, then he hit him in the hip to make him kneel.
    “It’s fine,” Sabo said. He hadn’t lift his head to look at Outlook. “Leave us alone.”
    “As you order, your majesty,” he guard nodded and bowed. “I’ll be just behind the door.”
    Once he left, Outlook smile grew. He sat down to the opposite side and took his time to check on Sabo. “You don’t wear the crown.”
    Sabo snorted. “It weights and it’s useless.”
    “It’s the symbol of who you are,” Outlook replied.
    “That’s the reason I hate it.” Sabo lift his head and the fire in his eyes took Outlook aback. That didn’t stop him to ask, “when I’ll be out of here? Maybe we could live in the palace from now on…”
    “Lord Outlook III.” Sabo interrupted him. He sighed. “For the charge of terrorist attack and for the murder of the previous king, the crown prince and other seven people, you had been found guilty. You were sentenced with the death penalty.”
    Outlook blinked. “What?”
    “For what it counts, I pleaded for the hard labor, but it wasn’t my decision to made,” Sabo added. “The sentence will take place in two days.”
    “You… You can’t be serious, Sabo,” Outlook babbled. “I’m your father.”
    “And also a murderer,” Sabo replied. “You know you almost kill Stelly too back then?”
    “He should have listen to me and stay at home.”
    Sabo sighed. “You don’t even negate it.”
    “I did it for you. I did everything for you!”
    Sabo jumped still, the chair fell behind him. He gestured at the guard, so he didn’t enter in the room, and looked at Outlook with the same eyes he’d have after his illness. Now Outlook was scared.
    “You did everything for me?” Sabo hissed. “You did everything for you.”
    “Sabo, your family…” Outlook tried to defend himself.
    “I had a family, and you stole it from me,” Sabo snapped back. “The day you came in the Grey Terminal and forced me to return home. The day you lied to me taking advantage of my memory loss. My… brother died… and I didn’t even remember him… So please, stop doing things for me!”
    Outlook’s mouth opened. “You…”
    “Yes, father, I have my memory back.”
    “I… I did…”
    “I know what you did,” Sabo replied. “I’m not sure I want you dead for that, but surely I don’t feel pity for you.”
    He moved to the door and knocked to the guard.
    “Sabo, please, let’s talk about it. You can’t be serious. Please, Sabo. Sabo!”
    But Sabo left the room and Outlook didn’t remain other but scream his name in vain.

Sabo found himself in the prison again, two times in the same days. He didn’t anticipate it, because his plan was to order to the guard to release Stelly in his place, but the meeting with his father had left him a bitter taste in his mouth.
    He felt he wasn’t satisfied with it. He wasn’t satisfied with the outcome of the relationship with his father. He wished for so long to get revenge, but death wasn’t the option he’d considered. He felt empty, in some way.
    He had no idea how a meeting with Stelly would change his feeling; it was only a lucky try.
    His step-brother had faced the imprisonment worse than his father: they both were completely different from how Sabo remembered them, skinny and messy. However, his father had still a fire in his eyes, which Sabo’d extinguished with the news about his condemn. Stelly looked utterly destroyed.
    But when he placed his gaze on Sabo, a hint of his usual malice turned back, alongside with a shaking lip. With Sabo’s surprise, there wasn’t hatred there, only resignation. He knelled as the guard ordered him, and so he remained until Sabo told him to stand up.
    Stelly didn’t sit in the chair at the table. “Do you come here to gloat?” he commented, eyes on the ground.
    “No, I don’t have time for this petty thing,” Sabo replied.
    Stelly hadn’t miss a change to call out Sabo out of his failures, and he hadn’t stop even when Sabo’d married Nentokanette. Stelly was the smart son, the successful son. Or better, he had been. Right now was only a convict waiting for his sentence. As Nentokanette, he didn’t anticipate the day his only choice would be remain hidden and hoping his arm would be enough to avoid most pain. They weren’t, but lucky for Stelly Sabo wasn’t there to hit him. Not too much, at least.
    “Then why are you here? Do you want me to beg for mercy?”
    “You’re innocent, father testified so,” Sabo said. “I’m here to confirm your release.”
    Stelly’s eyelid twitched, revealing his surprise. “I’m free to go?” he asked, as he didn’t believe it.
    Sabo nodded. “The house was sold off, mother is living in another place now,” he explained. “Since you spent time in prison as innocent, I’ll guarantee you a refund so you can start over.”
    “I don’t understand,” Stelly murmured. “Our house was sold? Why? And what about father?”
    “Our house, as every other Lord Outlook’s properties, was sold because that’s what it happened when you’re guilty of murdering a king,” Sabo answered. He took a sigh. “Father will be executed in two days.” Speaking those words to Stelly made him more real and Sabo understood that they hurt a lot.
    Stelly’s eyes widened. “You’re going to let father being executed.”
    “It’s not my choice, but I didn’t oppose to it. Father is guilty.”
    “He did it for you!”
    Their father’d said the same thing. Pronounced by him, they managed to let Sabo’s anger to erupt, along with the memories with everything Sabo had lost because of his father’s decision. From Stelly, they lost all their force and they reveal the truth behind them: they were both victims of Outlook’s decisions.
    “He almost got you killed too, Stelly.”
    Stelly froze. “He told me to remain home. I should have…”
    “He didn’t stop the bombing though,” Sabo replied. “You should thank only your luck for your survival.”
    “That’s because…” Stelly tried to speak, but Sabo understood the only explanation was too hard to him to accept, let alone pronounce it. So Sabo finished the sentence for him.
    “That’s because you are just a replacement. Father told me so when he brought me back from the Grey Terminal. An insurance if I wouldn’t have been able to success in life.” Sabo smirked. That was a bad strike. “But I did in the end, so your life was expendable.”
    “It’s not true.” But the reply sounded weak and his entire body was shaking.
    “Don’t sound so surprised. You’re the one that first told me that the people of the Grey Terminal are included in the garbage. Nobles treated people like that all the time, and father wasn’t different. We are always the garbage of someone else.”
    Stelly’s mouth opened twice, but no word come off. “I suggest you to come off from our father’s ghost as soon as you can,” Sabo added, standing up. In some way, he was speaking at himself too. “He’s incapable to love and only see people as useful tool for him to gain power. I realized it a long of time ago.” And unfortunately the memory loss made him forgot for too many years. “Now it’s your turn to accept it.”

Despite what Sabo had said to Stelly, he wasn’t happy about his father’s death. He didn’t understand why, since his father was guilty and in general he hadn’t done much to deserve mercy. Still he felt as a murdered and the fact that his father hadn’t stop to plead him for forgiveness since the guards dragged him to the scaffold didn’t help.
    Only the guillotine put end to Outlook’s screams, a scene Sabo didn’t watch because, without even noticed, he closed his eyes. He opened them again when he heard the happy yells of the other, in time to notice the satisfied smirk on Nentokanette’s face.
    At least one of us is happy, he thought.
    Sabo wondered if, in the opposite situation, he would act like her. Could he face Ace’s killer and be cool about that? Maybe not. So he tried to be not annoyed by her behavior, as they returned to the royal palace, but he was grateful when he remained alone in his room.
    For a second, he stayed still at the door, until the feeling became too much overwhelming. He rushed in the bathroom and vomit acid. He wiped away the sweat away from his forehead and coughed.
    His father was dead. His father was dead and he killed him, sort of. The thought made him vomit again.
    “Are you okay?”
    Sabo turned around and, recognizing a maid’s dress, was about to get angry because no one should enter in his room without permission, especially someone sent by Lady Chambord. His mouth stopped as he looked at her face and her red hair.
    “Koala…?” he blinked. “What… What are you doing here?”
    “Checking you won’t be assassinated.” There was a hint of amusement in her tone, that didn’t match with her actual worried look. “Are you okay?”
    “I wasn’t poisoned, if that’s what you meant.” He regretted immediately being so rude with her. “Sorry,” he added.
    “You’ve been under a lot of pressure.”
    A part of him would like to hug her in the same way he’d done with Dragon; he gave up remembering she hadn’t liked it. So he patted her arm, as he asked, “for how long have you been there?”
    “Two days after the funeral. Dragon-san supposed your enemies would try to act before your coronation, to make thing easier.”
    It was the same thing Dragon had told Sabo. He nodded as he returned in the room and lie down in the bed, covering his eyes with his arms.
    “You’re still here,” he commented.
    “I will be here for a while,” Koala explained. “Helping you.”
    “I’m sorry you’re stuck here with me. I’m pretty sure you’d prefer doing better thing that served people and wear maid dress. Like saving people and similar things.”
    “I’m saving you,” she replied gently. Since he didn’t continue, she added, “are you sure you’re okay?”
    “No.” He felt he needed to fill the silence. “I was thinking… I wanted my father dead. I hated him. Right now I just feel empty. And sad. And it’s just not right after all he did…”
    Koala sat next to him. “I’m glad.”
    “About what?” He glared.
    “Remember what you said to me when we met?” she explained. “You’re worried you could become like the nobles of this kingdom. Those feelings you have are the proof you’re still yourself.”
    “You think so? Because I’m not sure anymore of who I am.”
    There were moments when Sabo was sure to be the one looking for someone defenseless to fight, and doing it with pleasure as they could only use their arms as a shield, and not the other way around anymore.
    “I’ve been here long enough that realizing the game of power the nobles do are awful, so I’m not surprised you hid your true self in order to survive,” Koala commented. “But I can assure you that in the future you’ll be free and that part of yourself will appear again, like it did today.”

“Stelly, honey. Stelly? Stelly! Well, honey, where are you?”
    He pressed the pillow to his ears, hoping the rumors would disappear. The sight of his mother was unbearable, as she was now, with that horrible clothes and the callous hands and the face without the makeup.
    Well, everything about that place was unbearable.
    Stelly wondered if it was all a cruel joke of Sabo, letting him out of prison only to see him suffer in that small house in the Grey Terminal, with their mother, a noblewoman, forced to cook and do choirs. And she was terrible at it, so Stelly fasted most of the time. He also feared that the money Sabo had promised him didn’t exist.
    Prison was better, at least he didn’t have to see his mother in that situation. And the food was fine. Stelly spent most time in his room, trying to sleep so he could forget about his situation.
    “Ah, here you are.” His mother grabbed the pillow, revealing his face. “You received an invitation. From Lord Byron!”
    “What?” Stelly jumped up and grabbed the envelope she had. Lord Byron asked at him to participated at one of their Thursday night, and for real!
    “Oh, I know things will be better. I’m pretty sure Lord Byron will offer you a work. We’ll buy back our house and…”
    “I can’t go,” Stelly interrupted her.
    “Wait, why?”
    “Look at me! How can I go to their evening like this?” With the third rates clothes and the old shoe and not having someone who can wash and arrange his hair. Sabo had left them with nothing at all.
    His mother understood. “Oh, honey… We could ask your brother for a change of clothes?” Even without Stelly’s glare, she realized it wasn’t an option.
    “I can help.”
    They both turned at the door, where the owner of the house they’re guest at stood, a big woman with curly brown hair.
    “How?” Stelly spat.
    “My brother in law is a tailor and he can rent a suit to you. As long as you don’t ruin it, it should be fine. Eh, you can point out him to your noble friends!”
    “That would be so great!” his mother squeaked.
    “Oh, no problem. He’s the king’s brother after all.”
    Stelly gritted his teeth. Each day he was remembered the people of the Grey Terminal helped him because his relationship with Sabo. He was so loved there; they didn’t even stop to think Sabo didn’t care enough about his own parents. Stelly hated it.
    “Come on, honey! Let’s go to check your new clothes.”
    There was no choice there. Stelly would try his all to Lord Byron’s evening, so he could return in the noble world. So he nodded and he followed his mother and the owner outside.
    The suit was actually pretty bad, but at least it was new, with no stain or ruined sleeves. He hoped Lord Byron and the others would understand his situation. For sure they probably shared their hatred for Sabo.
    Still he felt humiliated when he crossed Lord Byron’s mansion. He tried to remain collected as the butler announced him at the others in the living room. All the most important nobles were there, included the families of the people his father had accidentally killed, people Stelly couldn’t sustain the gaze. Their children, the ones around Stelly’s age, weren’t present.
    It was the evening of adults: Stelly felt out of places but at the same time excited because that could be his occasion.
    “Welcome, Lord Stelly.”
    Lord Byron himself greeted him and guided him at one of the armchair. Wine was served and people began again to talk to each other. Stelly felt a little more relaxed, so he looked around to find a spot where he could intervene and start perorating his cause.
    It wasn’t necessary, because Lord Fersed turned at him and asked, “what happen to your father was terrible.”
    Stelly gulped. How was supposed to answer that, with the victims’ families in the room?
    “None of us believe Lord Outlook was guilty,” Lord Fersen continued, and the others in the room nodded. “It’s clear the true culprit was none other than our dearest king,” he snickered, “and your father was just the escaping goat. He probably didn’t even know what paid for, only obeying his son’s order.”
    “And the people believe it!” Lord Byron exclaimed. “That’s the reason why they’re inferior.”
    “Do you really think so?” Stelly asked, surprised.
    “Of course,” Lord Fersen confirmed. “No good people would have his own father assassinated, especially if he was in prison as innocent. King Sabo doesn’t even care.”
    Stelly opened his mouth, then closed it. They’re picturing Sabo in a way opposite to Stelly’s knowledge of him. Sabo was too naive to even think a plan like him, and his father wasn’t so stupid to fall in a trap like that. Still… Sabo looked different when he’d came in the prison. He wasn’t anymore the stupid child that stay put and take all the strikes.
    “And a good person would have help his family,” Lord Byron added. “Instead, he didn’t even host you and your mother at the royal palace.”
    “He promised me money,” Stelly murmured.
    “And you trusted him?” Lord Fersen snorted.
    Stelly didn’t answer.
    Lord Byron placed a wooden box on the table, opened it and took of a small gun with the handle in mother-of-pearl.
    “You’re one of us, Lord Stelly,” Lord Byron said. “We won’t abandon you, but we need your help.”
    “We can’t have Sabo as king,” Lord Fersen added. “He will destroy us as he destroyed your family.”
    “What… do you mean?” Stelly glared at the gun still in Byron’s hand.
    “We’re here to ask you to kill the king.” Lord Bryon lend the gun to him. “This one is small and light.”
    Stelly placed it back in the table, nervously. “Why should I do something like this? Can’t we just hire someone to do the job for us?” That’s what nobles do. They didn’t dirt their hands.
    “We tried!” There was exasperation in Lord Fersen’s voice. “We tried many times, especially before the coronation ceremony, but that bastard’s lucky and well protected. This is our last chance.”
    “Queen Nentokanette is with us,” Lord Byron added, surprising Stelly. “She doesn’t want to remain married with the killer of her father and brother. She agreed to take as his future husband one of our children,” and he pointed at Fersen and himself, “but she promised us that you’ll be rewarded for your effort.”
    “How?” Stelly said.
    “She’ll return your house to you, alongside with your position as personal secretary of the new king. Everything that your brother stole for it, we’ll give you back.”
    Stelly swallowed, looking at the gun. Was killing really his last option to return to his life? The memory of his few days as personal secretary of the prince came back: it was a great part of his life. He wanted it back. He wanted back his money, his power, his privileges.
    “What I should do?”
    “Ask for a private audience with the king,” Lord Byron explained. “Nentokanette assures you’ll be received. Then shot him once you’re alone with him.”
    “The gun is easy to use, you just need to be near enough,” Lord Fersen recommend. “An hug could do the trick.”
    “Sabo will destroy the nobility. We’re all in your hand,” Lord Byron finished.
    Slowly, Stelly placed a hand on the gun. “I’ll do it.”

It was five o’clock when Sabo left the throne room after the audience. His stomach grumbled. In all day he’d ate only a sandwich Koala’d brought to him in the five minutes of pause he’d given himself.
    After the thirty days the people’d stayed without king, no wonder a lot of them needed him to resolve controversies and such. And then there were the curious, people who just would like check on the behavior of the new king. Sabo couldn’t deny them his time, so recently he spent his days listening to people.
    Pratchett informed him of the other task: since when he was promoted as king’s advisor, he took care of all task Sabo couldn’t anymore. “Last thing, your step-brother came this afternoon for a private audience. I let him wait in your office, but if you’d prefer to rest I can send him away.”
    Sabo shook his head. “No, I’ll see him. Probably he wants information about his money.”
    “Here.” Pratchett leaned him a folder. “Since all Outlook’s bank accounts had been confiscated, I opened a new one to Lord Stelly’s name and a made a transfer there for a part of the profit from the auction.”
    “Thank you. I’ll see you tomorrow at the throne room,” Sabo commented as he briefly checked the folder.
    With that sentence, Pratchett understood Sabo would prefer remain alone. He nodded and stepped away before they reached the office. Sabo entered: Stelly sat down nervously in the armchair, but when he heard the door opened, he jumped still.
    He looked at Sabo, as he was unsure how to act, then bowed. “Your majesty.”
    Sabo gestured at the guard Pratchett had left in the office with Stelly to leave. “Sit down, please.” He placed the folder on the desk. “Here’s your money.”
    Without any look, he moved towards the window and opened it. From his office, he could see the vastness of the sea after the Goa’s harbor. The screeches of the seagulls and the wind in his air made him better, almost believing he was on a ship, even if he couldn’t smell the salt of the water.
    “I think you’ll be fine from now,” he commented, as he heard the sound of flipping pages.
    “…yes,” Stelly whispered. “But I’m here for another question.”
    “Then talk.” Sabo kept his back at him, eyes still focused on the blue sea.
    Stelly took a long breath. “I was hired by other noble families to kill you.”
    Sabo turned around, wondering if Stelly could be so stupid to reveal his plan before actually out in in motion. Especially when Sabo was offering him an easy target. Instead, Stelly had placed the small gun on the desk in front of him and put his hands on his laps, his face bowed.
    “I’m surprise you didn’t shoot me right and there.”
    Stelly blinked. “You knew? You were turning your back at me in purpose?”
    “You couldn’t have killed me in any case.” Sabo smirked. “Now tell me why you didn’t.”
    Stelly gritted his teeth. “They promised me money and a high position, but I’m not so stupid,” he explained, turned his eyes off Sabo. “Killing you, with guards outside… and they know I’m here… The others are just using me to reach you, but they’ll abandon me soon enough so they can get what they want looking innocent.”
    “It sounds plausible.”
    “They accused you of a lot of thing, but I wonder if they understand you at all. Because you’re not like them. Not like us.”
    Sabo felt satisfaction in his heart. After Koala, even Stelly confirmed him he didn’t turn into a noble he hated.
    “You also give me the money you promised. You look more reliable than them, so I thought that maybe I can have a reward for my…” and he gestured at the gun.
    Sabo moved near to him, leaning against the desk and crossing his arms. “So you did everything for your own advantage.”
    Stelly swallowed. He slowly nodded.
    Sabo saw the scene in his mind: Stelly was there, his arms trembled, as he protected his face, but he was brave enough to came out from his hideout. And Sabo wasn’t the one ready to strike him.
    “That’s fine by me,” Sabo said. “I wouldn’t have believed you if you talked about brotherly love and shit like that.”
    “So?” Stelly looked at him.
    “Let’s make a deal. You’ll be loyal to me and I’ll give you what you want. Including the position of king’s personal secretary.”
    “For real?”
    “I need one since Pratchett is now my advisor.”
    Stelly rubbed his hands. “And can I live here in the palace? With mother too?”
    “Yes.” Sabo nodded. “As long as you don’t betray me. But you have to testify against the other nobles. Do we have a deal?”
    “Deal.”

Sabo and Stelly were behind the door of the throne room. Nentokanette was already sitting on her throne, watching for the nobles to take place in front of her. When everyone was sitting down, she spoke.
    “Dearest, I’m here because a terrible accident happened yesterday to our king.”
    Sabo smirked: he could see Byron and Fersen trying to hide their excitation. Between Nentokanette’s words and the fact the audience of the day had been cancelled, no wonder they believe their assassination place had been successful.
    “And it’s finally time to put an end of the situation.”
    Lestrade entered in the room with his guards. The nobles were perplexed, but only when the guards started to grab them, they protested.
    “What does that mean?” Byron screamed, his hand already tied behind him.
    “My Lord, you were found guilty of treason, as you all were the instigations for the assassination of the king,” Nentokanette announced. “You’ll be under arrest until your sentence will be decided.”
    Fersen’s eyes widened. “We did it for you!”
    Oh, look, Sabo thought. They spoke like his father. They really were the same.
    Nentokanette smirked. “I know. I’ve spoken with your wives long enough to have evidence about your guilt.”
    Byron understood they were framed. “You can’t be queen alone. If you’re gonna married again a nobody, then you’ll be sorry again and we won’t be here to help you.”
    At this point, Sabo appeared in the throne room. Every noble stopped, eyes widened, as he took place on the throne. Stelly followed him and remained at his side, straight and with arms behind his back.
    “Luckily she doesn’t have to remarried, Lord Byron.”
    Byron recollected himself. “You…” he spat towards Stelly, who trembled a little.
    “Oh, do you meet my new personal secretary?” And when Byron was about to say something, Sabo added, “don’t be sad. It’s just business.”
    Lestrade bowed in front of him. “We confirm we have already arrested all the remain of the family, including Lady Chambord, Lord Muzesky and Lord Richey.”
    “Good. Pratchett will take care of the rest.”
    Lestrade chuckled. “A lot of house to sell away.”
    “We need the money for the new university,” Sabo gestured as it was nothing. “Bring them away.”
    “As you order, your majesty.”
    “That was… savage…” Stelly dared to say once they were alone in the room.
    Nentokanette sighed. “So we hadn’t no more noble family and we’ll need to hire a new chamberlain, a new housekeeper and a new maître.”
    “I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more people around worthy their position,” Sabo commented.
    “Do you think mother could be the new housekeeper?” Stelly proposed.
    Sabo would have preferred taking someone more competent, but he wouldn’t risk to oblige Nentokanette to too many upstairs. Better keep them quiet for now. He looked at her, who just shrugged.
    “See? Easier than you thought.” Sabo stood up. “Now let’s go. Now that finally we don’t have to worried about assassination attempt anymore, we can take care of the most important thing.”
    “What?” Stelly asked.
    “The people of this kingdom.”

Capitolo 7

With her hands, Koala was stretching her black skirt and her white apron. She was ready to jump still and pretend she was there only to serve coffee to the king, but right now only her and Sabo were in the office, so she sat down in the armchair in front of his desk.
    He was signing papers, not looking at her. She bit his lips.
    “I’m not sure hiring your step-brother is a wise idea,” she said, at last.
    He lifted his head, rising an eyebrow, but he didn’t speak.
    So she continued, “I have a guess about it.”
    “A guess?”
    “You’re feeling guilty about your father’s death and you think giving privileges to your step-brother will make things right.”
    “Nothing will make things right,” he replied. “But you’re probably right about me. I wouldn’t have been merciful to Stelly if he had shot me, but he didn’t.”
    “He didn’t do it because he’s a good person,” Koala pointed out. She knew Sabo had lent Stelly a hand, but with the situation reversed, Stelly would have hit him. He’d done it in the past.
    “I know. It’s just business.” Sabo sighed. “Even so, a part of myself hopes I can make Stelly a better person.”
    Koala crossed her arms. She closed her eyes and her mind came back to the Sun Pirates. And to Arlong. Maybe not all people could be saved.
    “I also have another reason to keep him here.”
    “Which one?”
    “Nentokanette agreed to help me in exchange of the new law about succession,” Sabo explained. “And I signed it. If I die, she’ll be queen alone.”
    “I know, I know, it’s the reason I’m still here, so I can save your ass from her assassination’s attempts.” But she smiled.
    “Right. The point is, I could kill her first. I’m the king now, so I don’t need her anymore, and I have a step-brother who can help me for the succession. A step-brother who’s supposed to be by my side. And that could have some claim to the throne if I die.”
    “What if she’ll bring your step-brother on her side?” Koala asked.
    “That’s what I hope,” Sabo answered. “It’ll take some time, giving me enough until the Reverie.”
    Koala blinked. He smiled.
    “I won’t be king of Goa forever; you should know that. In the meantime, I’ll try to improve this kingdom and leave it good sovereign.”
    She sighed. “Are you sure about it?”
    “I’m not made to be king. Not for long, at least. The world is gonna change, and I’ll change with it.”

Stelly couldn’t complain about his new life. He had a luxurious bedroom at the royal palace, all servants at his order and enough money to buy whatever he liked or needed. The best food, the best clothes – except the sovereign, there was no man powerful as him.
    Sometimes the thought of being at his brother’s orders – his stupid, incapable brother – was insufferable, but Stelly hid it in a corner of his brain, behind all the privileges his position had.
    The thing that real bothered Stelly was another: the work. When he was the prince’s personal secretary, his job was fairly simple: following him around, ordering thing for him, bringing his bags. Most of the time the prince had spent his time having fun with theatre, fox hunt or concert, all thing Stelly didn’t mind to organize or attend to.
    Sabo, instead, didn’t take a minute for resting. Audiences started at eight – which meant a very early wakeup call – and they continued until the last citizen had his change to speak. Then, Sabo went in his office along with Stelly and Pratchett, organizing what he couldn’t resolve at the audience. Then, while Sabo remained in his office answering the letters he received and looking at the projects he was taking care off, Stelly and Pratchett went around to fulfill his orders. Usually dinner was served in Stelly’s room late at evening, once he had finished his work, because Sabo wouldn’t allow to start the day with the remains of the previous.
    He was tiresome. Stelly supposed that, as one of the powerful men in the kingdom, he shouldn’t work so much. Still, he shut his mouth and did what he was told too, afraid Sabo could change his mind. Pratchett was a lot more efficient than Stelly and he didn’t hide his displeasure about Stelly. Stelly couldn’t afford a common man to surpass him.
    But he couldn’t hide his enthusiasm when a less demanding day happened. The audience finished before usual, and there were few things to be settle after. Stelly returned in Sabo’s office at five for leaving him the documents to be sign.
    “Good work,” Sabo commented, and he piled them with the other papers he was checking.
    Stelly remained still, uncertain. He was expecting Sabo giving him more orders.
    “You can go,” Sabo said, when he noticed his presence. “You’re free until tomorrow morning.”
    “Oh. Really?”
    “Sure.”
    “This is great.” Stelly couldn’t believe it. “What can I do?”
    Sabo chuckled. “Whatever you like. Resting, shopping, going in the swimming pool…”
    “We have a swimming pool?” Stelly interrupted him. “And you tell me only now?”
    “Well, it’s not you have time before, right?” Sabo smirked. “We even have a sauna there.”
    “And can I go?”
    “Yes. Go before I change my mind.”
    Stelly was beyond happiness. Finally, some rest, finally some way to use his privileges as he should be. He almost cried when he entered in the swimming pool room, admiring the glass dome and the sun rays that made the water glittering. He was so overwhelmed by it that failed at first to notice the figure sitting in one of the sunbed.
    But when he got near the swimming pool, he jumped. “Your Majesty?!” He looked around, freaking out, then bowed. He cursed Sabo: he did it in purpose to embarrass him. “I’m so sorry, I leave right no….”
    “No,” she said. She wasn’t even watching him, sunglasses covered her eyes. “You can stay.”
    “…thank you, your majesty.” Carefully, Stelly placed the bathrobe on another sunbed next to him.
    She ringed a bell. “Do you like something? A cocktail, maybe?”
    “Uh, sure.”
    A maid appeared and Nentokanette ordered her two drinks and something to eat. The maid nodded and came back ten minutes later with a tray, that was placed on a small table between the two sunbeds.
    Nentokanette moved to take one of the glass and her swimsuit adorned with golden string glittered. “I don’t mind company,” she said, after taking a sip. “It’s tiresome being always alone.”
    Stelly guessed her life was pretty different now that she was the queen, especially with Sabo as king. And after they got arrested all the nobilities of Goa, there weren’t many other people to spend time with.
    “You come here often?” he asked tentatively.
    “Every day, after work. It relaxes me.”
    Stelly released a small smile. “I imagine Sabo wouldn’t have spent a second here. He didn’t know how to relax.”
    She snorted. “Not at all.” Then she sighed. “Would you know a thing? Back then, I chose Sabo because I thought he wouldn’t be like the others. He would have looked at me as a person.” She shook her head. “Instead he was the worst one.”
    “He is different,” Stelly confirmed. “Just not the way you thought.”
    “Definitely.”
    She lied down again, so Stelly licked his lips, uncertain. “Do you believe he’s the one behind your father and your brother’s assassination?” In some way, Stelly would like to believe it, to clear his father’s name. To believe again he hadn’t been ready to kill Stelly.
    “Does this make any difference?” she replied. “Things are like that.”

“Where’s Sabo?” Nentokanette asked, as she didn’t see him at the breakfast table.
    “His majesty has other things to attend to today,” Pratchett explained. He was giving the other managers the order of the day.
    “Which things?” she insisted.
    “You should ask him.”
    “Oh, I will!”
    Stelly snored. In his opinion, Pratchett took advantage of his position and of Sabo’s favor to overcome his boundaries. Not even the king’s advisor should talk to the queen in that way.
    “What about the audience?” he asked. He wondered if he could have the day off. Or a simple task, which allowed him to have the afternoon free.
    “You will take the king’s place, and I’ll help you, because we can’t let the people wait for the service,” Pratchett explained.
    “Me?”
    “His majesty’s orders.” There was and unpleased tone on Pratchett’s voice, showing he didn’t like it. Stelly wasn’t surprise, since for the first time he was hired Pratchett showed no respect for him. His loyalty stood with Sabo’s alone. For one time, Stelly agreed with him. The audience were utterly boring when he was there to assist Sabo, he couldn’t image the boredom being in Sabo’s place.
    None of them had a choice.
    A small chair was arranged in front of the throne and Stelly took pace there, with Pratchett at his side. They use as excuse a small illness of the king: a couple of people decided to leave and wait for the king to get better, but most of them needed resolve and remained.
    At first, he was hard for Stelly to stay focused. He tried to think back at Sabo, guessing how he would react in the same situation and trying to imitate him. In the end, he had to admit he like the feeling. The people who smiled and bowed at him, who thanked him for his benevolence, who showed him respect. Even most of them reminded him about Sabo, their admiration for today was only for Stelly.
    For that reasons, he didn’t complain much when he had to attend audience the day after, and then after that. At first he was a little bit annoyed about Sabo’s disappearance, but he appreciated the people were starting to recognize and respect him more. And he still had free time to go to the swimming pool at late afternoon, spending time with Nentokanette.
    She was a wonderful girl and she thought a lot like him. He was glad to have someone like him to talk with, while most of the other managers shared Sabo’s ideas. Nentokanette was more annoyed about Sabo’s behavior, so Stelly tried her best to cheer her up each day.
    His resolve was put on the line the day he arrived at the swimming pool to find Nentokanette crying. Her eyes were full of tears as she looked at him, before burying her head in her hand and sobbing.
    “What happened?” He dared to sit down next to her. “We can resolve it, your majesty. There’s nothing we can’t do. You’re the queen of Goa!”
    “He cheated on me!” she managed to say between her sobbing.
    “Cheat? Who?”
    “Sabo!”
    Stelly’s eyes widened. “What? With whom?”
    “With the red hair maid who trots around him.” She blew her noise on the bath towel. “I saw them: he was smiled… he never smiled with me like that. And she talked with him as he wasn’t her king!”
    “Pratchett didn’t act as you were his queen,” Stelly pointed out.
    “It’s different. A woman understands.” She glared at him. “And can you explain to me where Sabo’s spending his mornings? He even stopped attending the audience. He’s with her, I’m sure about that.”
    Stelly blinked. A part of him couldn’t believe Sabo would be so superficial to abandon the kingdom for a lover. Still, he was there for Nentokanette, so he agreed with her. “I hadn’t notice the maid,” he changed subject.
    “Me neither, at first,” Nentokanette spat. “But of course Sabo did!”
    “He’s an idiot. He had a wonderful woman like you and he prefers spending time with a low rate maid and with the citizens and their stupid problems.”
    She sniffed. “Do you really think I’m wonderful?”
    “S-sure…” Stelly blushed.
    She smiled. “Do you know what would be wonderful?” She placed a hand on his legs, leaning towards him. “Sabo dying. If he does, I can marry you, and you can be king.”

Stelly could meet Sabo only one time during the day, at evening, when he welcomed him and Pratchett to make a summary of the day and giving orders for tomorrow. Even Pratchett looked worried about the fact Sabo was neglecting the audiences, but he didn’t talk about his concerns. Stelly had other problems in his mind at the moment.
    “Can I speak a second in private?” he asked, when the work was finished.
    Sabo blinked. “Sure.”
    Pratchett shifted his looks from the two of them, then left with a word. Sabo started to sign the pile of papers he had on the desk.
    “Is it true you’re cheating the queen with your red head maid?”
    Stelly had looked at them closely after Nentokanette’s reveal and he noticed Sabo looked at ease with her. And she took too much confidence. And they disappeared together on the morning. Now Stelly needed to know if Sabo wasn’t he person he thought he was.
    “What?” Sabo startled, almost making the pile of papers fell. He blushed. “No!”
    Stelly was uncertain how to reach, so he remained still.
    “Who’s saying that?”
    “People around,” he answered vague. “You stay with her a lot.”
    The red was still there on Sabo’s cheeks. “Do you think she noticed?”
    “The queen? Well…”
    “Koala. The maid,” he added to explain better.
    Stelly frowned. “Are you asking if your lover knows she’s your lover?”
    “She’s not my lover! But… I may have a slight crush on her and people could misunderstand that.” Sabo’s gaze shifted, unable to stay put.
    “Oh.” Stelly was surprised by that admission. But after all, sovereign couldn’t divorce because a trivial thing as having a lover. “So you don’t have a relationship with her?”
    “Not a love relationship,” Sabo pointed out.
    “Why not?”
    “Many reasons. The first and most important is that having an affair isn’t right neither for Koala neither for Nentokanette.”
    “Well, if you have a crush on the maid, it means you don’t like the queen, so…”
    “I may not love Nentokanette, but she’s still my wife. She’s not her fault she was the tool to get to the royal family. All people would have married her without love, but I can give her at least my respect.”
    Stelly snored. Of course Sabo was the selfless one. Of course! He cursed himself for having believe for a second Sabo could be guilty of cheating. “Only you could prefer a maid over a queen,” he muttered.
    “Looks like you like Nentokanette.” Sabo chuckled.
    It was Stelly’s time to blush. “It’s not like that!”
    “It’s okay.” Sabo had regained his composure and started signing the papers again. “You and her have a lot in common than me. I’m glad she can have some company.”
    “She was worried about you cheating on her. Maybe you should spend some time with her?” Stelly proposed.
    “Maybe. Tell me something more.”
    Stelly reflected: he was sure Nentokanette had told reserved things to him. Still, Sabo looked interest to catch up his relationship with her and it could make her happy. So he talked about her desire about having day off, about going to the opera and so on. He also suggested some presents Sabo could give her. Stelly spoke ignored the sting in his heart.
    Sabo finished his work and leaned to the back of the armchair. His eyes were closed, so at first Stelly though he was concentrating on the words. Only when he heard the first snore, Stelly realized Sabo had fallen asleep. He got angry, then understood Sabo should be exhausted from his work. He tilted his head, unsure how to act.
    “Do you know what would be wonderful? Sabo dying. If he does, I can marry you, and you can be king.”
    His hand moved on one of the pillow of the armchair. If Stelly suffocate Sabo, no one would notice. He could bribe the doctor to tell it was a heatstroke for too much work. No one could accuse him of murder and sure Nentokanette wouldn’t mind.
    He grabbed the pillow and moved slowly next to Sabo’s armchair. He paused: Sabo was still snoring. He lifted the pillow, gripping with both hands. He could just lower him on Sabo’s face and keep it there. Five minutes. Sabo wouldn’t yell.
    You’ll be loyal to me and I’ll give you what you want.
    He stood there, looking at the peaceful expression on Sabo’s face. So even you have weakness, Stelly thought. Fingers twitched on the pillow. Sabo trusted him. Until now, he was the only one who hadn’t hit Stelly but, on the contrary, he gave him his hand.
    I can be king. I can marry Nentokanette.
    But his arms didn’t move. With a sigh, Stelly placed back the pillow on the armchair and left.

Koala had never hidden his displeasure for Sabo’s decision about Stelly. She understood him, of course, but she felt it could cause only more problems and more disappointment to Sabo. She protected him from the assassination attempts, that was all she could do.
    So she wasn’t exactly gentle when, in the early morning, she entered in Stelly’s room to wake him up. He blinked trice before noticing she was there and she was the one calling for him.
    “His majesty would like to see you. Get up.”
    She was very careful to impersonate a maid, even if she knew people were talking about the preference Sabo was showing her. Right now, it didn’t matter anymore. She grabbed the sheet and took off.
    “I’m awake, I’m awake!” he protested. He climbed down the bed, glaring at her. “Which time is it?”
    “Five in the morning.”
    “Five?” he screeched. “What Sabo wants at this time?”
    “You’ll find out.”
    Stelly sighed. He looked around, a little perplex, and Koala smirked.
    “Would you like me to help you to dress?” she proposed.
    He watched her carefully, as he was considering the idea, then he opened the wardrobe, took some clothes and disappeared in the bathroom. Koala crossed her arms and waited: luckily Stelly knew better Sabo didn’t like to wait, so ten minutes later they were outside the room. The first sunray lightened the hallway enough to let Koala noticed Stelly wasn’t as well-dressed and tidy as usual. His hair was messy, as he wasn’t used to prepare himself alone. And he looked worried, biting his lower lips. His steps became more and more sloppy as they reached Sabo’s office. When Koala activated the mechanism that opened the passage and they started climbing the long stair that brought to the underground, Stelly was sweating.
    Sabo was waiting for them at the end of the stairs. He dressed his sweatpants and his gym shoes and he smirked noticing Stelly’s shocked look. He didn’t comment though, he just nodded to Stelly and Koala to followed him in the dark hallway.
    “What is this place?” Stelly asked. His voice trembled a little.
    “Every castle has its secrets,” Sabo answered. “For what I know, this one was created for the royal family to hide in case of danger.”
    They reached the end of the hallway, where a big iron door stood. Right now it was open, because it could only open from the inside. Sabo stopped in front of it, then turned to Stelly with a big smile on his face.
    “A pillow, uh,” he commented. “And do you think you could have hold me down long enough?”
    Stelly paled. His lips trembled. “I… I… you were faking it again…? Were you testing me…? Because if that’s…”
    “No, I feel asleep for real,” Sabo answered. “That’s the reason Koala is here to back me up.”
    Stelly turned at her, as he was seeing her for the first time. Koala held his gaze, eyebrow lifted.
    “Tell him I stopped. Tell him I didn’t even try! Tell him the truth.”
    “I did,” Koala replied calmly.
    “Koala don’t tell me lies,” Sabo commented. “But she’s her duty to inform me of everything out of ordinary.”
    “I didn’t do it, I didn’t,” Stelly replied, his voice frantic. “I had the temptation because… I didn’t, I swear. I saw you sleeping but then I left! I wouldn’t have done it. Please do not kill me!”
    Sabo blinked. “What? Killing you? Why?”
    Stelly stopped. He gesticulated around, unable to explain himself better than showing Sabo the place they were. When Sabo understood, he laughed. A full open-mouth amused laugh, heartwarming. Koala prided herself to be one of the few people having heard it before.
    “We’re not here to kill you, Stelly,” Sabo manage to say at last. Tears were in his eyes. “Sorry for the misunderstanding.”
    “Well, to be fair, I would have though the same thing in his place,” Koala smiled.
    “Oh, thank you,” Stelly snored. He didn’t look as amused as Sabo.
    “Now that we clarify you’re gonna live, care to explain what got you in temptation? Because I though you don’t have much to complain,” Sabo said.
    Stelly’s eyes shifted to the left. Koala was ready to inform Sabo that he would get a lie, but Stelly answered, she couldn’t admit it sounded true. “I don’t really like you.” And it was somewhat painful. Her eyes were on Sabo, trying to notice his feeling. Sabo was smiling.
    “The feeling is reciprocating, but we have an agreement,” he commented. “So what changed your mind?”
    “Nothing. I stopped.”
    “It was Nentokanette, was it? What she promised you?”
    Stelly should learn to conceal his emotions better, because the shock on his face was clear.
    “What she promised you?” Sabo repeated, voice higher and leaning towards Stelly.
    “That I’ll becoming king,” he murmured, and a second later his face fell, shame on it. Koala raised an eyebrow. “She… she didn’t mean it, I’m sure. She was angry. She thought you were cheating on her. And, well, her mistake was understandable.” He nodded at Koala, at the fact she was there, she knew the secret passage. She was special for Sabo, that was sure.
    Just not in the way Nentokanette believed.
    “Are you defending her?” Sabo regained his composure and there was curiosity in his voice.
    “She relied on me. For confidence.”
    “Are you in love with her?”
    “What? No!” But Koala wasn’t so sure about that.
    Sabo smirked. “It wouldn’t be so strange, since you two have a lot more in common than me.”
    Koala restrained a small laugh. Sabo was the black sheep, no doubt about that. “Maybe he doesn’t want you to ask the queen, because she will negate everything,” she hypnotized.
    “What? No… I mean, probably she…” Stelly looked uncertain. “I didn’t do it. She was angry. Can we all forget about it?”
    “You had the temptation to kill our king. I’m not sure we can forget it.”
    “Please tell me she’s joking.” Stelly looked at Sabo, pleading.
    “She is,” he confirmed, with a big smile on his face. “But she’s not wrong, in some way. Am I right imagining Nentokanette didn’t tell you about the new law?”
    “What new law?”
    “I changed the succession law. Now queens can rule alone. If I die, Nentokanette won’t have to remarry.”
    The surprise on Stelly’s face confirmed it. Sabo shot a look to Koala, who rolled her eyes. No reason to glover over him being right.
    “Which mean you probably took the right choice remaining loyal. Let’s go.” Sabo didn’t even look at him and he opened the door, revealing the big empty room behind. It was a bunker after all, so no luxury was necessary.
    Still, as she watched carefully Stelly followed him, she noticed a disappointment. She forced herself to not believe she could be sorry for him. He probably was a lot sadder about losing his chance to become king than being used by a woman.
    Dragon-san was there, waiting for them. As usual, he was a man of few word. He shot a glare to Stelly, but not ask were made. He just nodded at Sabo to come nearer. Koala sat down next to the door and gestured at Stelly to join her. He looked still a little bit down, but the surprise was fast taking its place.
    “A man lives here?”
    “No, he came here for Sabo.”
    “For what?”
    “You’ll see it soon enough.” Koala’s eyes were on Sabo and Dragon-san. She braced herself as she imagined she should tolerate Stelly’s company for a while. “Do you recognize him?”
    “Should I?” Stelly turned his attention from her to Dragon, then yelped as Dragon kicked Sabo against the wall. “What? My God!”
    Koala sighed. It would be a long morning.

“You’re getting better,” Dragon said.
    “You kicked my ass. As usual,” Sabo grumbled. He felt blood in his mouth: his nose was running. And he could feel his bruised increased.
    Was it a smirk on Dragon’s face? “You can’t be too severe with yourself. Not many men can grasp haki and a devil’s fruit in so short time. Let aside beating me.”
    “Okay.” Sabo released a little smile. “See you tomorrow morning?”
    “As usual.”
    Sabo turned to Koala and Stelly, next to the door. She was utterly annoyed, he was shocked. “Did I make a mistake?” he asked, unsure if he’d like an answer from Dragon.
    “Only time will tell.”
    He nodded and walked towards the other two. Koala stood up when he saw him arriving, Stelly was still looking at him with big eyes and he moved only when he was gestured to.
    “Are… Are you alright?” he asked.
    “Yeah.” Sabo cleaned his face with his sweaty t-shirt, leaving bloody spots on it.
    “Is this what you do every day? That’s why you left the audiences to us?”
    “Yes.”
    “Why?” There was disconcert in Stelly’s voice. Stelly didn’t understand a lot of Sabo’s behavior, but this time he was utterly shocked. Something out of his world.
    “Because I need to become stronger. Stronger than I am now.”
    “Stronger? But you’re already super strong!”
    Sabo couldn’t hold back a smile. “Not enough. Still not enough.”
    For a second, Stelly fell silent. He followed Sabo and Koala quiet, unsure if asking for more was the best idea.
    “Who is that man?” he said at last.
    Koala blinked. “You don’t recognize him?”
    “Should I?”
    “Definitely,” Sabo confirmed. “He’s the leader of the Revolutionary Army.”
    There was no point in hiding it anymore. Stelly would have found it in any case, showing him the morning training would have been useless otherwise.
    “The Rev- what the hell are you planning?” Stelly lost the ability to speak, and opened his mouth like a fish. “No. I don’t want to know. This is… You promised! You promised me and now this all… They make war! They destroy kingdom! I should have shot you! I should have used that damn pillow…”
    Koala rolled her eyes. Sabo looked at him until the silence around made Stelly stop.
    “Stelly,” Sabo began. “The most wanted criminal is here, every morning. He’ll be here tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow. If you’d like, you can go out and tell everyone.”
    “And the what will happen?”
    “It depends how much the government will believe you,” Koala answered. “If we look for the optimistic part, they’ll send the CP0 here. They won’t manage to catch Dragon-san, but they could arrest Sabo for collusion. Nentokanette could divorce from him for treason and, who knows, maybe she’ll thank you for it.”
    There was sarcasm in Koala’s voice and, Sabo was sure, even Stelly didn’t miss it. “And the pessimistic part?”
    “A buster call that will destroy the entire kingdom.” Koala licked her lips. “I’m afraid to say, the world government isn’t known for his ability to be calm and collected.”
    “So you showed me that only to shove in my face that I can’t do anything about it?”
    “No.” Sabo shook his head. “I showed you that because I decided to trust you.”
    Stelly looked at him. “Maybe you’re wrong.”
    “Maybe. But from my part, I won’t let down our agreement.”
    “I don’t know if I can trust you anymore on it.”
    And with that, Stelly trumped on. They could hear his steps on the stairs. Koala placed a hand on his arm and Sabo thanked her mentally. He’d stop defending himself with his arms for such long, the strike in the face was particularly strong. He felt a little bit down, but after all, what was he expecting? Stelly not hitting him? Again, he should have known better.
    He sighed. Three months until the Reverie. He survived worse, he would survive until that.

2 replies since 26/2/2019, 21:04   68 views